Var debate 2019/20

Not so sure about that. The rule suggests it is possession or control for that player .

• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal

• creates a goal-scoring opportunity
so the player gains possession / control after it has touched their arm and then scores or greates GSO. The suggestion that it is the team raises the issue of how many moves can be interposed between touching the arm and the goal or GSO.

Gaining control and gaining possession would not be stated if it meant the same thing . Once it hits a players arm/hand and falls to yourself or your teammate then it's a foul .

If it hits a players hand/arm (accidentally - so not above his head etc) and falls to the defender of the opposition (who is under no pressure ) and he makes an absolute hash of it and the attacking side gets the ball and scores then it's a perfectly legitimate goal . It's a new phase of play and they have had time to clear the ball.

That is the best angle though (that I have seen) so far
The angle from behind the players (Colin Bell stand), shows the ball hitting Laporte’s shoulder as far as I’m concerned. Sterling’s shoulder last week was offside, so that means the shoulder isn't classed as a handball.

Like I and a few other posters said yesterday, prove it hits Laporte’s arm below the shoulder. You can’t be 100% certain, not without being disingenuous.

The angle from behind the players (Colin Bell stand), shows the ball hitting Laporte’s shoulder as far as I’m concerned. Sterling’s shoulder last week was offside, so that means the shoulder isn't classed as a handball.

Like I and a few other posters said yesterday, prove it hits Laporte’s arm below the shoulder. You can’t be 100% certain, not without being disingenuous.

Well.like you I am certain from that view it hits his arm....even kdb said indicated this ((he also said he thought it could have hit the spurs.player to but it would have had to hit laporte first anyway as he was nearest to the flight of the ball

VAR or the rules something isn't right in the game

3 VAR decisions this weekend which I questioned

• Rodri we all know about
  • Brighton offside goal - the player who was offside, was he active in the first phase of play? He didn't challenge for the ball that came across, other players did, he only became active in the second phase by which time he was onside?
  • Everton v Watford - Watford penalty - I might of imagined it but it looked like the Everton player did not get the ball but took the player? C&OE?

I like many am lost with what VAR is there for!?
I saw the Brighton incident and wondered exactly the same, Burns didn’t attempt to get that ball from the free kick but when it went over everyone’s head he realised he could get the cross in for a belter of a volley, as you say it was definitely second phase. It also cost me £72 on my football accy.

VAR will be good for City ultimately. Dippers and rags won't score from off-side positions at least and won't get so many favourable decisions. Rags got 12 pens last season, 3 times what we got. Won't happen with VAR, I'm perfectly sure about that. We'll benefit in some important games from VAR as well and people will find it more acceptable.
Deluded in the extreme

Thank you. I was wondering if I'd missed something. There are too many using the 'any touch by an attacking player' and either accepting it or repeating it
I think that's the problem with this, the whole 'if it hits an arm then it's automatically handball' thing is just the simplified tabloid version of the new laws. It's the same as when people say 'he's the last man so he has to go', that's not true either and isn't in the laws of the game but its the simplified version used by the hard of thinking.
Unfortunately it now appears that the actual referees are using the dumbed down rules too which is a bit of an issue.

Wow,ex Spurs & ex rag Crooks on (I was going to post 'our side') the money. All these other teams fans taking the piss ....well if it's consistent they're in for some big downers, if it's not then I'm done at the end of the season
To be fair Crooks does come up with a lot of positive stuff about City.He`s not my favourite pundit but hats off to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.