Var debate 2019/20

I've heard several people say that VAR provides great television for the neutral watcher and nobody puts TV viewers above match going fans more than UEFA. I've never been a huge fan of VAR, or even of retrospective action tbh, unless in the most serious incidents, and last night did nothing to change that view. The more you analyse something the more sterile it becomes, VAR takes away more from the game than it brings in my opinion albeit last night was one we threw away over the two legs.

In the words of the great man himself “it is what it is”.

To the watching world that is sport at its very finest.

It so hard to take but the fact that we all politely acknowledged this with a ripple of applause at the end of the match says it all.

What a game.

Unless VAR is implemented correctly and with match going fans given all the necessary information, i'm finished with football after 55 years of it. Still don't know what went on with the last minute goal. From where i was sat the referee looked to have no part in the decision to disallow it.
The Llorente hand ball (which i only saw because the bloke in front was watching the game on his BT sports app) looked like handball. I knew it would be disallowed after going to VAR, but now i'm being told that BT didn't show the ref the correct angle. Complete and utter bollocks. Will kill the game stone dead as others have said above.

I was originally for it but I'm extremely dubious now as to how it's interfering and ruining key moments for fans. Feel like the manner in which the last minute goal was ruled out is the saddest thing about the outcome for me.

Also, they really need to apply it's use consistently. This "clear and obvious" error rule is not working and it's pisssing everyone off. I don't think any decision out of the Rose penalty, Llorente's goal or Sterling's goal was clear and obvious. We've all watched them dozens of times and still can't agree.

Vertonghen's encroachment into the penalty area was clearly wrong though. He ventured a long way on and was there to clear the rebound. Why wasn't that checked?
Yes I agree with all this, I was originally for VAR, but have now changed my view, and this isn't because
of the decision going against City. All the spontaneity and excitement is totally killed with the interminable delays,
listening to officials, scurrying over to the touchline, then standing gazing at a telly like someone in the grip of
Corrie fever. It's now becoming obvious that the flow of what was, last night, a fever pitched, end to end very
exciting game, was being stopped in its tracks by VAR.

Maybe been covered. But I thought Var was only to change decisions if it’s a clear and obvious mistake. So offside may have been offside but was it clear and obvious? Not at real time speed it wasn’t. So they need to be clear what the criteria is, I accept both decisions were right but I think clarity on what the criteria is for var needs to be communicated

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.