Var debate 2019/20

When you lost last years CL tie to Liverpool, salah was clearly offside for the first goal at Anfield. VAR would have rightly ruled him offside. You all would have been happy. The Milner deflection- 2nd leg - VAR would have given the goal to Sane. People were wishing they had VAR.

You were all happy you got a pen in the first leg vs Spurs, and I doubt anyone complained about VAR then, even if it was a poor decision. The 3rd Spurs goal last night would have been harsh if disallowed. Goes in off his hip. Aguerro was offside. Unlucky, but correct decision. I wasn't arsed about who won. Correct decisions were made. Whether VAR is any good for the game is debateable.

VAR has changed the game for better or for worse, just like billion dollar owners have. A 90 page thread on the merits of VAR. if you'd won, this thread would not exist. Simple.
Var would not prevent opposing goalkeepers throwing the ball in their own net either. Go back to the cult where you can write poems to your hearts content.

Last edited:
Maybe not the right thread for this but as we are all riled up over VAR! the other thing that's creeping into our games is the ref marking our players and getting in the way of our play, it's been happening to a small degree all season but the last couple of games it seems to be reaching a level that's not accidental more planned .

Maybe not the right thread for this but as we are all riled up over VAR! the other thing that's creeping into our games is the ref marking our players and getting in the way of our play, it's been happening to a small degree all season but the last couple of games it seems to be reaching a level that's not accidental more planned .

I did think Cakir was a bit unusually placed at times. It was subtle and not enough to have any significant impact, but a few times he was almost in the way.

Our lads should just fire it at their nuts. They won't do it again.

I just think they are mesmerised by our play, they just want to join in : )

I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

I care more about the #1 thing football is about - fans celebrating goals!

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

But you go that wild at the footy!

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

The introduction of VAR is taking that away.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!
Well said , that’s exactly what I have been saying.

To be fair what that article says is that the laws of the game are vague (they are), and it also says that the reason the Ref allowed the Boly goal was because he hadn't spotted it hit the hand. Had he spotted it he could have inferred that it was deliberate (it was outstretched, and the last body part to touch the ball before it went in) and could have disallowed the goal. I think that's different gravy from tonight's decision. Next year's rule puts it beyond doubt tho, which is good.
If I control a crossed ball with my shoulder, my arms stuck to my body and head the ball in the following second, should the goal count even though I was intending to chest the ball?

Noticed this a few years ago. With the liner do the half where our right wing is the ref invariably covers the left hand side and that is where so many of our attacks are broken up by a badly positioned ref who rather than being slightly behind the ball somehow manages to cut off the supply line to the wing. Almost as if refs are shown videos of where to stand when we go forward to subtly disrupt play

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.