Var debate 2019/20

It's bent, I said early this season that VAR will be our demise in the Champions League. How the ref wasn't shown footage of all the angles, 2 of which that showed the hand ball is beyond me. The only angle he was shown wasn't conclusive, which again begs the question, if he had to look at it 10 times or more to make his mind up, surely its not conclusive either way. Ultimately the shot from behind the goal and from up the field clearly shows his forearm hitting the ball first, not hip to arm, arm to hip to net. Wankers and it stinks.

I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

I care more about the #1 thing football is about - fans celebrating goals!

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

But you go that wild at the footy!

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

The introduction of VAR is taking that away.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!
Absolutely spot on. Will wreck the exhilaration and spontaneity of a game that was popular because of those qualities, warts and all.
Is there any movement to realise it is an abomination and withdraw it, or is that it - it's modern technology therefore it has to be imposed? Smacks of old men in suits wanting to be down with the hipster techies without thinking it through.

Last edited:
I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!

Fantastic post. Agree whole heartedly.

The onky thing in my life that compares to the Aguero and Dickov moments is jumping out of a plane and hurtling to the ground at 120 miles an hour.

I have a question guys: who fecked us up with that incedent?

1. Was it the VAR officials that refused to show the refs alternative angles?
2. Was it the ref that chose to ignore alternative angles assuming he was given the opportunity to see more angles?

It’s gone!

The only thing you've left out of an otherwise perfect summing up of the nature of what will happen because of VAR is that not only does it put an end to that deep emotional attachment to what is going on on the pitch, but to that communal experience of 50 thousand people going mad at the same time for the same reason. You can't put a price on that.

Didnt watch the game have just seen the highlights...Aguerro although marginally off was coming back onside as rhe ball came to him. Thats been allowed in countless games since they faffed about with the rules.. It appears to me that UEFA scoured that footage for any excuse to fuck City over......

My view and for the record I am not a Blue.
Not difficult to find evidence either way on close decisions.
The technology is such that one frame can show offside and the next onside. Simply choose which one suits and publish it.

The only thing you've left out of an otherwise perfect summing up of the nature of what will happen because of VAR is that not only does it put an end to that deep emotional attachment to what is going on on the pitch, but to that communal experience of 50 thousand people going mad at the same time for the same reason. You can't put a price on that.
I am with you on this. I have already found myself holding back when we score. It's still incredible experience but it changes it.

Can you say though that Spurs fans did not experience some of the most cathartic moments of their lives in those minutes?

VAR changes how we will respond to games, but it might not necessarily be entirely bad. I am trying to be open-minded here. We will not always be the victims in it. We lost fair and square. Hope people just accept the result. We were unlucky in the way the rules were applied in that the decisions were so marginal.

There are two sides to a game. We are experiencing this through the disadvantaged side, and need to consider the whole. We will one day be the beneficiaries.

All in all though at the moment, I am against VAR and worry how it will change fans attachment to the game. The whole thing is in its infancy though. Quite simply if it doesn't work, it will get changed.

Not difficult to find evidence either way on close decisions.
The technology is such that one frame can show offside and the next onside. Simply choose which one suits and publish it.
I think it's really bad and sad that people can not just accept that we got beat.

The world is divided. Conspiracies exist. People are oppressed and exploited but football is our escape. I do not accept that the game is that warped to the point that Manchester City are being cheated at every available opportunity.

The conspiracy angle is untenable and very poor sporting behaviour below the standards I would expect from City fans. Spurs beat us fair and square. Accept it and move on.

I'm perhaps misrepresenting your opinion here SilverFox. i normally agree with most things you say, I am just reacting to a theme I am seeing from City fans of being cheated. We weren't cheated. Decisions may have been made incorrectly but I believe for the most part the game is clean and honest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.