Var debate 2019/20

We will see the benefit of VAR in the long run.

Agreed, but it’s difficult to appreciate that right now!

In particular, it takes the absolute piss that the dippers put us out last season largely because of the absence of VAR, and spuds have put us out this season largely because of the presence of VAR.

The weakness of VAR is this:

I was at the match so may be wrong, but to me Son looked clearly offside just before he won the corner prior to spuds’ 3rd goal. Even if it turns out he was onside, bear with me and assume he was offside because it would play out the same. The linesman didn’t put his flag up, because they have been directed not to, and to let the move play out.

So if son takes it round ederson and scores, VAR rules it out.

When ederson gets there first and it goes out for a corner, VAR doesn’t come into play.

Corner comes in, ederson gets a hand on it, corner other side. Corner comes in, goal.

But pre-VAR it would never have got that far because Son would have been given offside initially.

He wasn’t offside.

The problem with VAR reminds me of a period a few seasons ago when we were going through a period of quite a lot of bad decisions and disallowed goals (hard to imagine, I know). I found myself reigning in my celebrations because I wasn't sure if it would be disallowed. It kinda kills the moment. But ultimately, I'd still rather have that and get the right decisions than the alternative.
I remember feeling the same over that period but it was only a few months...we are stuck with never being able to celebrate a goal properly again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.