VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
as the standard of refereeing and the secrecy and unacounbtability of the PGMOL isn't acceptable.
Thats the crux of this and that is what has to change. If PGMOL are unwilling or unable to implement a standard, transparent process to each and every ground then they should be disbanded and get someone that can to do it. Maybe Rugby Union would run the process and referees.
In this most recent case, the difference between a well run process and a shambles is 100% apparent. Seemingly the VAR team missed the fact that a goal hadn't been awarded by the referee and 'check over' sealed the deal. In RU, if you listen to the dialogue between the referee and the video referee the phrases used are pre agreed, many of them taken straight from the lotg and always ended with a final 'so is there any reason for me not to award this try'. No nicknames, no panicked talking over each other, no lack of clarity or risk of confusion, just calm deliberation using the technology to reach a correct decision - all 100% transparent and audible. VAR as its is implemented in PL football is not fit for purpose. Those that have implemented it should be held accountable and binned and PGMOL disbanded.

I'm glad Liverpool are taking this stance despite the massive hypocrisy. Time someone bloody well did.

Thats the crux of this and that is what has to change. If PGMOL are unwilling or unable to implement a standard, transparent process to each and every ground then they should be disbanded and get someone that can to do it. Maybe Rugby Union would run the process and referees.
In this most recent case, the difference between a well run process and a shambles is 100% apparent. Seemingly the VAR team missed the fact that a goal hadn't been awarded by the referee and 'check over' sealed the deal. In RU, if you listen to the dialogue between the referee and the video referee the phrases used are pre agreed, many of them taken straight from the lotg and always ended with a final 'so is there any reason for me not to award this try'. No nicknames, no panicked talking over each other, no lack of clarity or risk of confusion, just calm deliberation using the technology to reach a correct decision - all 100% transparent and audible. VAR as its is implemented in PL football is not fit for purpose. Those that have implemented it should be held accountable and binned and PGMOL disbanded.

I'm glad Liverpool are taking this stance despite the massive hypocrisy. Time someone bloody well did.

Football probably sneers at both codes of rugby as significantly smaller sports but the contrast between their effective use of technology and the shitshow football fans have to put up with is stark.

With all due respect I believe you are conflating two different issues. Liverpools clear hypocrisy with the need
for a complete overall of VAR and probably the way the PL is refereed.

The fact that it is one of the history clubs complaining is even better, it means the powers that be are less likely to ignore their complaints.

I hope other clubs including City now speak up , as the standard of refereeing and the secrecy and unacounbtability of the PGMOL isn't acceptable.
I was thinking along these lines this morning.
I had a strong feeling that we would be shafted at Arsenal next week but the more the Dippers riot then the more the Premier league officials will have to be on their best behaviour in the coming weeks

The fact Darren England was in the UAE days earlier getting paid to ref a match in the UAE is highly inappropriate. The optics are shocking. Why is the UAE flying in English refs who officiate in the PL, rather than having locals officiate?
I agree with this. Our referees and assistants are paid a very good salary by PGMOL, and this is their full time job. There should be no opportunity for them to be moonlighting in Saudi Arabia or any other country. UEFA and FIFA appointments would of course be acceptable, but also built in to their contracts.

If they want to referee in Saudi, fair enough. Resign from PGMOL, and they are then free to ply their trade wherever they like.

What about stopping the game when City were attacking for a wolves player going down with cramp, in the pathetic 6 minutes of added on time, even the commentator said that there was going to be a load of time added on although only seems that that applies to Arsenal, they regularly get 10 minutes added on.
I would put money on City never getting the 10 mins added on,if they are losing!Hopefully,there won’t be too many occasions to put that theory to the test.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.