VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You watch 1 CL game in a while compared to constant coverage of PL matches and highlights and everyone going mental when a VAR decision goes against them.

Same for those that say it works so well in Rugby and Cricket which they hardly watch aswell
Watch a lot of Seria A games and VAR works better.

watch a lot of Cricket and video assistance works a lot better.

Don't watch rugby because it's boring so cannot say if it works or not

when VAR came to the premier league and EFL first comments many made were, the refs are shite here hopefully it will help, unfortunately they are still shite and now incompetent with technology.

VAR isn't the issue our officials using it are along with webb and others over complicating the rules

Last edited:
That incident was a total 1 off out of 100 and 100’s of incidents officials and VAR have to deal with this season. It was a mix up. They’re human. It happens.
Hopefully going forward they can change the way they communicate or bring the game back after resuming play.
There are numerous incidents that VAR seems to examine very quickly utter others take longer I can think of 3 at Anfield where from viewing there appeared to be a case for one of their microscopic examinations, others where clear fouls / handballs were ignored which if looked at would have resulted in goals being disallowed yet So how do we know this weekend was a one off Jusding by the apparent incompetence of the officials I some what doubt it
There are at least 4 subjects in the room VAR Ass Var Video operator and Match Commander surely only one is required it can’t be hard to amaze the video controls the tech that people refer to is pretty low tech
VAR has damaged the game it’s spoilt the enjoyment and sponataulity of celebrating a goal, laws have been changed to suit it and frankly the changes are ridiculous finding a player offside by mm is a nonsense the handball interpretation is now so convoluted that few understand it Get rid and let’s make football at all levels closer that it is now

Watch a lot of Seria A games and VAR works better.

watch a lot of Cricket and video assistance works a lot better.

Don't watch rugby because it's boring so cannot say if it works or not

when VAR came to the premier leagues amd EFL first comments many made were, the refs are shite here hopefully it will help, unfortunately they are still shite and now incompetent with technology.

VAR isn't the issue our officials using it are along with webb and others over complicating the rules
SPOT ON! It works well in Europe as it is operated by officials with a completely different mindset to our awful officials who for the most part think they know better than the rest of the world.

My idea would be to get rid of VAR in its current format.
Any big decisions that VAR would look at like a goal, penalty or red card should be looked at by the on field ref using a tablet.
They could even have someone that runs on with the tablet for the ref to look at.
Players not allowed within 10 yards of the ref when looking at the VAR tablet.

They released the audio. what difference does it make? it was always going to be a cock up/miscommunication
But we don’t hear the conversations routinely, so how can we judge whether it is carried out in a structured and professional way?

It refutes that VAR is only a problem in PL
Who said it’s only a problem in the PL? I didn’t. I said I thought our officials are shocking. I also said they are a lot worse than we get in Europe and that were involved in the World Cup, but I didn’t say var was only a problem here. Did I?

It should be a tool to assist not to micro manage.

Offside was never designed to be scrutinised this in depth a tight decision, it was designed to stop a forward goal hanging unless a player is half a yard off or more it really shouldn't even be reviewed but left as an on field decision rightly or wrongly

But we don’t hear the conversations routinely, so how can we judge whether it is carried out in a structured and professional way?
Compare the audio at cricket and rugby with that shitshow released yesterday and its worlds apart, professional, succinct and effective, because it has to be as it is heard live by the fans. Footballs' cossetted closeted approach has bred arrogance and complacency which will only have a chance of change when the audio is open and accountable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.