VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What if it’s half a yard minus an inch?

Which is why this ridiculous quest for absolute truth in offside decisions is nonsense. Any tolerance like half a yard, daylight or whatever will lead to the same 1mm issues. Either accept stupid 1mm offside decisions and shut up or just stop all this freeze frame, drawing lines nonsense and leave the on-field decisions alone unless they are clearly wrong from real time video footage, as is supposed to happen with every other offence monitored by VAR.

Personally, I have a fundamental problem with applying the concept of absolute certainty to offside decisions.

Which is why this ridiculous quest for absolute truth in offside decisions is nonsense. Any tolerance like half a yard, daylight or whatever will lead to the same 1mm issues. Either accept stupid 1mm offside decisions and shut up or just stop all this freeze frame, drawing lines nonsense and leave the on-field decisions alone unless they are clearly wrong from real time video footage, as is supposed to happen with every other offence monitored by VAR.

Personally, I have a fundamental problem with applying the concept of absolute certainty to offside decisions.

You just given another example of what you’ve opened saying you’re against.

If “clearly wrong” is the benchmark, you’ve still got clearly wrong minus a mm.

You just given another example of what you’ve opened saying you’re against.

If “clearly wrong” is the benchmark, you’ve still got clearly wrong minus a mm.

It really isn't. It's changing what people want to think is absolute truth (wrongly imho) back into an instinctive decision.

The only reason we talk about 1mm is because of the god damn lines they draw.

Btw, I think VAR should do away with slow motion replays and still frames for all other offences as well.

It really isn't. It's changing what people want to think is absolute truth (wrongly imho) back into an instinctive decision.

The only reason we talk about 1mm is because of the god damn lines they draw.

Btw, I think VAR should do away with slow motion replays and still frames for all other offences as well.

Just think you’d be creating even more controversy with a vague ‘clearly wrong’ benchmark.

No one is going to stop the TV people from drawing lines and I’d give it two weeks before one man’s ‘clearly wrong’ turns out to be less than another man’s play on.

For an attacker running at full pelt, there could be up to 20cm between frames, in which time it is difficult to discern the exact frame the ball leaver the foot of the player making the pass (with the current system in use in the PL). In this instance VAR is nothing more than guesswork which leaves it wide open to outside influences such as bias (unconscious or not) and corruption.

Agree.

Its an impossibility and to have a system designed to disallow rather than award goals by the merest of margins when we know the technology being used is unable to accurately capture it is just plain wrong and ridiculous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.