VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It might not be relevant in the laws of the game but in practice it goes back way before the introduction of VAR, that the bar for a second penalty is unofficially raised significantly within a game.

Just as giving the first penalty automatically lowers the bar for the opposition getting one.

Same sort of thing, I remember Kevin Keegan saying in his playing days that once he’s had two decent penalty shouts turned down, he knows that he’s just got to get into the box and fall over and he’s likely to be awarded one.

Non of it is right and it’s something you think VAR would improve but it’s just human nature I guess and has always been the way.
But human nature should not over-ride the LotG as they are written. It's a case of human nature making a decision that is outside of the LotG on a whole raft of irrelevant and unrelated issues. As you say, the third shout is better than the first, although the first might well have been more of a stoner than the one he gave. We wait for 32 years for a pen at the OT. Nobody will tell me none of our players was fouled in the Rag area, and I think variation in sanctioning players with yellow cards is far more elastic than awarding a free kick.

'Cos we got it! What I don't understand is why, if Oliver intervened and assisted Blind Tierney when Rodri was grievously fouled inside the Rag area, why didn't he repeat his 'assist' when Haaland was dragged to the grass inside the Rag area?

The people who think that the Rodri pen was 'soft' are the same people who thought that Jack's fingernail in the Final was a blatant handball and a stonewall pen!

'Ignoring the LotG' is probably the kindest and most euphemistic way of saying the bastards are cheating.
Maybe Oliver was looking for restitution following on from numerous past misdemeanours when in charge of this game.

There seems to be this whole idea that more should be made of the penalty and it was a disgraceful decision but the true disgraceful decision was not send anthony off, by every metric and letter of the law he lashed out and its a clear a sending off as you will ever see.
Red for his wild kick
Red for his swipe
Red for his headbutt.

But human nature should not over-ride the LotG as they are written. It's a case of human nature making a decision that is outside of the LotG on a whole raft of irrelevant and unrelated issues. As you say, the third shout is better than the first, although the first might well have been more of a stoner than the one he gave. We wait for 32 years for a pen at the OT. Nobody will tell me none of our players was fouled in the Rag area, and I think variation in sanctioning players with yellow cards is far more elastic than awarding a free kick.
How can you remove human nature from refereeing?

How can you remove human nature from refereeing?
It's that aspect of human nature that notices the colour of the shirt, the look on a player's face, the fact that two penalty shouts have gone beggin' so the third is nailed on, whether there's contact or not, a glance at the table and what it would mean to Team X 'n Team Y re a certain result aspect of reffing that is clearly at odds with the letter of the LotG. We need cold-blooded, sang froid refs, humanoids, robots. Alternatively, I could ref all City's home games from my eyrie in CBL3. I guarantee an upgrade on the shite that I've seen so far this season.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who will calibrate those robots?

Offsides will get there quite soon.
Not sure the rest will. How much of a pull/push is a foul will always depend on the referee, game and context.

Yea, some refs set their stall out early doors, (as they should) regarding pushing and pulling, but a lot don't unfortunately.

It's that aspect of human nature that notices the colour of the shirt, the look on a player's face, the fact that two penalty shouts have gone beggin' so the third is nailed on, whether there's contact or not, a glance at the table and what it would mean to Team X 'n Team Y re a certain result aspect of reffing that is clearly at odds with the letter of the LotG. We need cold-blooded, sang froid refs, humanoids, robots. Alternatively, I could ref all City's home games from my eyrie in CBL3. I guarantee an upgrade on the shite that I've seen so far this season.
Is it that though? I’m sure Sad Cafe are pointing to them not getting penalties for pull backs of their players being the same as the one against Rodri.

It’s also human nature for fans to be biased towards your own team and against all others.

There will always be contentious decisions that fans will debate.

Is it that though? I’m sure Sad Cafe are pointing to them not getting penalties for pull backs of their players being the same as the one against Rodri.

It’s also human nature for fans to be biased towards your own team and against all others.

There will always be contentious decisions that fans will debate.

A few seasons ago there was a fellah in the row behind, and after a few wll-chosen words 'n phrases we threw the way of the ref he made the suggestion that we were biased. Biased? Of course we're biased, we've been biased since '55! It's our modus operandi, our point of reference! There's nobody in CBL3 more biased than we are!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.