VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soft pen or not soft pen, I couldn’t give two fucks as they have had more than their fair share of questionable decisions in derbies. One observation from Sunday is why did they have Mike Dean sticking his two penny telling us how he thought the ref was doing officiating the game. It really shows how bad the match officials are in this country when this is a debate during a game.

'Cos we got it! What I don't understand is why, if Oliver intervened and assisted Blind Tierney when Rodri was grievously fouled inside the Rag area, why didn't he repeat his 'assist' when Haaland was dragged to the grass inside the Rag area?

The people who think that the Rodri pen was 'soft' are the same people who thought that Jack's fingernail in the Final was a blatant handball and a stonewall pen!

'Ignoring the LotG' is probably the kindest and most euphemistic way of saying the bastards are cheating.
Soft is a word I used and I acknowledge it is inaccurate. Having watched grappling at every corner in every game this season without punishment maybe a better adjective is 'unexpected'. Why? I am still at a loss as to why it was given when every other instance is ignored. Payback for last season? Do me a favour. Lets see how many similar penalties are given in the next round for similar infringements. I predict zero.

Happy to take it though.

I don't understand why City's penalty is being described as soft, or controversial. Law 12 includes:

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

holds an opponent"

This becomes a penalty if committed by a player in his own penalty area.

There is no further explanation or clarification, so this consideration of whether Rodri could have reached the ball is just unnecessary noise and obfuscation.

The controversy occurs for all the times holding occurs in the penalty area and a penalty is not awarded. When this happens, the referees are ignoring the Laws of the Game. If this was penalised more often, holding would stop, and the contest would be a fair one between opposing players.
I think they have an unwritten law or an understanding something along the following lines.
If two players are close together and grappling with each other, pulling and shoving when the ball is in the air is normally ignored.
However, if an attacking player clearly gets away from his marker and makes movement in the direction of the ball and is hauled back a penalty is more likely to result.This probably describes the thinking of the ref, and VAR on Sunday.

There seems to be this whole idea that more should be made of the penalty and it was a disgraceful decision but the true disgraceful decision was not send anthony off, by every metric and letter of the law he lashed out and its a clear a sending off as you will ever see.
On the plus side, Antony can stink out 3 more games for them.

Soft is a word I used and I acknowledge it is inaccurate. Having watched grappling at every corner in every game this season without punishment maybe a better adjective is 'unexpected'. Why? I am still at a loss as to why it was given when every other instance is ignored. Payback for last season? Do me a favour. Lets see how many similar penalties are given in the next round for similar infringements. I predict zero.

Happy to take it though.
I think refs are ignoring/cheating on holding in the area, but if someone is thrown to the ground it moves into the area of a 'trip'! Still doesn't explain why we didn't get the second. Carbon copy of Rodri's!

I think refs are ignoring/cheating on holding in the area, but if someone is thrown to the ground it moves into the area of a 'trip'! Still doesn't explain why we didn't get the second. Carbon copy of Rodri's!
The foul on Rodri was nothing compared to the battles Haaland has been having. It has really reduced his threat at set pieces this season. All we want are the lotg applied in a sensible, consistent manner. Not much to ask you would think.

The foul on Rodri was nothing compared to the battles Haaland has been having. It has really reduced his threat at set pieces this season. All we want are the lotg applied in a sensible, consistent manner. Not much to ask you would think.
Asking for the LotG to be applied as they are written is something I've long given up on. For many a season now we have had to secure a win by stint of more goals than the opposition as the LotG are massaged beyond recognition. The arbitrators of the game are more concerned with managing a game with as little controversy as possible, despite what the fans in the ground have seen with their own fuckin' eyes. And there is an ever-expanding queue of ex-refs who invariably tell us that the foul on Haaland wasn't a foul, the trip on Foden wasn't a trip and when Bernardo gets his customary kicking we are reminded that it's a 'contact' sport. Laughable!

It might not be relevant in the laws of the game but in practice it goes back way before the introduction of VAR, that the bar for a second penalty is unofficially raised significantly within a game.

Just as giving the first penalty automatically lowers the bar for the opposition getting one.

Same sort of thing, I remember Kevin Keegan saying in his playing days that once he’s had two decent penalty shouts turned down, he knows that he’s just got to get into the box and fall over and he’s likely to be awarded one.

Non of it is right and it’s something you think VAR would improve but it’s just human nature I guess and has always been the way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.