VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd love a ref, just once, to say similar to " did you see that left back, shit he was, mistake after mistake" or " did you see the formation that manager played, huge fucking error, hasn't got a clue" or " their forward couldn't hit a barn door he's so shit" etc etc etc.
I'm not condoning var fuck ups but there are numerous fuck ups in a game, the only ones we really talk about are the refs or var officials.

They could sort a lot of this out quite quickly by handing over the instigation of a VAR call to the managers, each game a manager can make 3 calls for a VAR review, they can use it for whatever they want. I would give them 30 seconds to lodge an appeal for a review, if they can t make the call in that time then it isnt clear and obvious.

Edit: I would also have the refs miked up like in Rugby.

but what are they doing wrong?

they review dangerous challenges and have a clear view of all angles.

they review the most fractional offside decisions.

Vast vast majority of the time they get it right (I'm guessing and could be completely wrong but around 95-97%)

For the sake of waiting a few moment I'd rather know decisions are being checked, even if it's a frustrating wait or a rare completely wrong outcome.
I don’t think it is so much what VAR is doing wrong as that the laws of the game are so variably applied and so “clear and obvious” becomes almost impossible to define. Previously there was the escape clause that the ref only had one view in real time. Now VAR has removed that we see the that the laws themselves are inadequate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.