VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have to accept the referee's decision, that is how I grew up,

"The decision is the decision. In 26 years I have had plenty of bad decisions, I have had plenty fall in my favour. It is what it is.

As I've mentioned previously, if everyone adopted his attitude to decisions, then fine, i would be more than happy to scrap VAR.

But I know for a fact fans will be in utter rage week in week out on refs decisions when a player is clearly offside or clearly dives with no contact etc.

Same as now then I guess, but with the loss of goal celebrations.

I am in favour of reliable speedy technology to help refs. The system now is not reliable, not fast, and is either infantilising refs or introducing subjective re refereeing. It could be so much better but there’s no Will to improve it

I am in favour of reliable speedy technology to help refs. The system now is not reliable, not fast, and is either infantilising refs or introducing subjective re refereeing. It could be so much better but there’s no Will to improve it

but what are they doing wrong?

they review dangerous challenges and have a clear view of all angles.

they review the most fractional offside decisions.

Vast vast majority of the time they get it right (I'm guessing and could be completely wrong but around 95-97%)

For the sake of waiting a few moment I'd rather know decisions are being checked, even if it's a frustrating wait or a rare completely wrong outcome.

Who doesn‘t celebrate a goal? They’re all celebrated normally, then silence when the crowd realises there’s a check, followed by a secondary cheer or communal muttering of FFS.

VAR tried to go speedy and then the Liverpool debacle happened. It’s not a coincidence that they have slowed down since.

VAR still has human involvement, so there will always be errors or some element of subjectivity that not everyone will agree with.

It does reduce errors though.

No idea what this thread is for. In my view, VAR almost always produces the correct outcome in the end. Last night, my only criticism was that Udogie was not red carded simply because Sterling managed to jump out of his two footed, studs-up lunge. Otherwise, no complaints with VAR.

Who doesn‘t celebrate a goal? They’re all celebrated normally, then silence when the crowd realises there’s a check, followed by a secondary cheer or communal muttering of FFS.

VAR tried to go speedy and then the Liverpool debacle happened. It’s not a coincidence that they have slowed down since.

VAR still has human involvement, so there will always be errors or some element of subjectivity that not everyone will agree with.

It does reduce errors though.

When I’m at the game I don’t celebrate like I used to and when at home I just wait for the VAR check. I think part of it is the mantra that every goal must be checked. A tool which supported referees would be available to them, like in rugby league, to have something checked they weren’t sure about. Now it’s a forensic reviews of flicks off hands and lines supposedly measuring toenails. If you think it improves the game then that’s your opinion and you are very much entitled to it. To me it has made things worse and, as big Ange said, totally screwed with referees. Which is ironic - as it was sold as a tool to help them

Imo Var should simply be the ref coming to the side of the pitch to review a few key incidents from various preset camera angles.

It could just be up the ref to decide when to do this or it could be that the managers can ask for a quota each.

It could also be that a central body compiles the video or it could be that each team does it for themselves. (I like that concept because I like that our nerds could be better than other teams' nerds).

But the main point is that the ref should make all decisions with the help of the technology (even if it takes a few minutes each time).

When I’m at the game I don’t celebrate like I used to and when at home I just wait for the VAR check. I think part of it is the mantra that every goal must be checked. A tool which supported referees would be available to them, like in rugby league, to have something checked they weren’t sure about. Now it’s a forensic reviews of flicks off hands and lines supposedly measuring toenails. If you think it improves the game then that’s your opinion and you are very much entitled to it. To me it has made things worse and, as big Ange said, totally screwed with referees. Which is ironic - as it was sold as a tool to help them
Even if VAR was like in rugby, you couldn’t celebrate if you innately can’t celebrate because there might be a check.

VAR was always going to change how referees referee.

If a goal is scored where the scorer handballs it, it should be disallowed.

If a goal is scored from an offside position, it should be disallowed.

Referees have never had the same respect as they do in other sports. VAR hasn’t changed that.

Even if VAR was like in rugby, you couldn’t celebrate if you innately can’t celebrate because there might be a check.

VAR was always going to change how referees referee.

If a goal is scored where the scorer handballs it, it should be disallowed.

If a goal is scored from an offside position, it should be disallowed.

Referees have never had the same respect as they do in other sports. VAR hasn’t changed that.

If it accidentally flicks a hand and no advantage gained it should be a goal. If the error tolerance of offside tech isn’t accurate it shouldn’t be used as if it is.

Ofc VAR was going to change the way referees operated. Just heard the ref’s union boss say it’s making their lives harder. That’s from the horses mouth. Refs did used to have respect - maybe not to the same extent of other sports but more than now.

I can see a time in a very near future when tech will be brilliant but we are not there yet and the best way to prepare for it is to go back to first principles: how do we introduce it in a way that supports referees in their role as the individual primary arbiter of the game

POstecoglu :

"You have to accept the referee's decision, that is how I grew up," said Postecoglou.

"This constant erosion of the referee's authority is where the game is going - they are not going to have any authority. We are going to be under the control of someone with a TV screen a few miles away.

"The decision is the decision. In 26 years I have had plenty of bad decisions, I have had plenty fall in my favour. It is what it is.

"There will be a forensic study of every decision out there, I think that is the way the game is going and I don't like it. If you look at all that standing around we did today, maybe people enjoy that sort of thing but I'd rather see us playing football."

Thats where we need to be going imo.
bang on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.