VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a FOC like Postecoglou, and I say good for him. Football never had a huge problem with obvious mistakes. There were a few absolute howlers that could have been corrected by VAR, some serious missed incidents that could have been corrected by VAR, and myriad small mistakes that evened out and gave all of us an opportunity to go ballistic and shout insults at the ref. Leave those alone for Christ's sake. If VAR can't see something is a problem at normal speed in one viewing, offside included, just let it go .....

Quite frankly, this idea that VAR can get everything right is a nonsense, so at least implement it in a way that doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the most important people - the people who go to the ground. So, forget the hopeless search for absolute truth and make it more stadium friendly. If it isn't possible for the referee or the linesmen to see a problem, don't give anything. If anything is missed in the match by the referee and VAR, take action retrospectively.

All everyone wants is referees doing their job as best, and as fairly, as they can with any howlers or anything they miss, because they are human, corrected immediately. And then to complain about it afterwards.
I remember the days when teams would find out who the ref was, what sort of ref, if he gives red cards or lets the game flow. Nothing wrong with that, but they have tried to science the shit out of it. Its impossible to define every single free kick or handball. And its totally impossible to have consistency at 100%.

They know this in rugby and they tell their viewers that, they set that expectation. in football they poison the waters with biases meaning we get this shite.

I think the red card in the Celtic game last night highlights an issue with VAR which I’ve seen a few times but is rarely talked about in detail. I’m not saying it definitely wasn’t a red, it was one of those orange card challenges that you either get or you don’t.

Not talking about hand balls or offsides… but when adjudicating for red card tackles, in my opinion, the referee should not be allowed to freeze frame the challenge. You simply can’t make a decision like that based on one frame of footage, you should have to see the full motion - preferably at full speed. And as VAR is a procedural process they absolutely need to have a precise checklist of things they’re considering like the TMO in rugby. And the comms as they go through that checklist should be broadcast. That is the only way we’re going to get anything resembling consistency.

There’s a lot of procedural issues with VAR. It feels like any of us could instantly suggest about 10 things that would improve it. The obstinance of the authorities to change even the smallest thing is incredibly frustrating, the VAR process has hardly been adapted at all since its introduction and we’re now in year 6 of its implementation - which for me is just unacceptable. FIFA have just assumed they got it perfect first time and that is what is killing its reputation as a useful tool.

It needs to be improved and adapted, no system like this works perfectly first time.
agree completely. It could work for the benefit of the game as TMO has in Rugby. The difference is POGMOL don't want transparency and believe they have got things right.
I found Pep's comments interesting during his PC. He looked like even he is struggling to conclude the best way forward in a maelstrom of emotion and invective.
I think all any supporter wants are that the lotg are 1) clear 2) applied consistently whatever team is playing 3) that decisions made are transparent and rationale explained. Video technology can help with that and should. Clubs, players and referees are jointly responsible for making that work and should lock themselves in a room until an approach is agreed.

You cant have consistency when everyone has different opinions, everyone including refs. There's no such thing as consistency.
Of course there is. If you didn't have consistency then there is no point having laws of the game. They have to be consistently applied or you get the current mess. It doesn't have to be that way though.

Many decisions are subjective, but as long as there is transparency regarding the rationale for a subjective decision and it is consistent with the lotg then you still have consistency. If you watch RU and see how referees/TMO deal with deliberate head tackles then you will know exactly what I mean. You might not agree with the decision 100%, but you do understand it.

Of course there is. If you didn't have consistency then there is no point having laws of the game. They have to be consistently applied or you get the current mess. It doesn't have to be that way though.

Many decisions are subjective, but as long as there is transparency regarding the rationale for a subjective decision and it is consistent with the lotg then you still have consistency. If you watch RU and see how referees/TMO deal with deliberate head tackles then you will know exactly what I mean. You might not agree with the decision 100%, but you do understand it.

We should aim for consistency for sure and the only way to do that would be to keep evolving VAR assistance rather than scrapping it and going back to how it was, as we no there's zero chance of consistency that way.

However, especially with social media, no matter what system you have in place it will always be easy to point to one decision and compare it with another decision months before and say 'WHERE IS THE CONSISTENCY?!!'

We should aim for consistency for sure and the only way to do that would be to keep evolving VAR assistance rather than scrapping it and going back to how it was, as we no there's zero chance of consistency that way.

However, especially with social media, no matter what system you have in place it will always be easy to point to one decision and compare it with another decision months before and say 'WHERE IS THE CONSISTENCY?!!'

For the unpteenth time. People will always complain. They complained about decisions before VAR, they complain about decisions now there is a poor VAR and they will complain if there is ever a perfect VAR. That isn't the problem. The problem is having a poor VAR and doing nothing, it seems, to improve it, so people start to question, quite rightly, whether it is worth it.

What they need to do is agree specific protocols for events such as if they are checking a goal as in rugby the referee states "Is there any reason not to award a try the onfield decision is try" then all that has to happen is they check and say we agree with your decision or disagree. They show the ref what they are looking at if they disagree and then the ref and VAR and linesmen discuss it as they are looking at the footage and then the referee makes the decision. The crowd hear and see the footage so buy into why the decision is made I dont know why cant football do something the same

Maybe I dont understand then. I agree with halfcentury in consistency in process even if the resullting decision is wrong? Is that what youre saying? Because I agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.