VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to a senior referee who spoke at an evening function for referees in 2019, Man Utd and Liverpool were the only 2 PL clubs that were opposed to the introduction of VAR. I wonder why?

How do you square that with this

mancboy said:
The only thing i would say with regards to var is that it has stopped the big clubs getting ALL the 50/50 or even 70/30 decisions in their favour.

Another game another VAR farce looking forward to the spin from those on here who advocate it’s success

You've got better discussion about you than hanging around this thread, mate. I love you to bits but fuck me, this one is done, nothing new is going to come of it so put your love of city and grasp of the real world to better use than replying to this thread.

(no, I'm not telling you what to do, even if I was I know you wouldn't give a fuck..) I just don't think there's anything new going to be put across and you're better than repeating yourself over and over x
You are probably right. It is mostly a thread to let off some steam and to vent some spleen.

They modified the handball offence numerous time to suit VAR trying to make it non-subjective to the point where it’s a total farce Most handballs leading to pens are not stopping a goal or a goal scoring opportunity so why it punishment the award of an uncontested kick form 12 yards ie the punishment doesn’t fit the crime The fact that they interpretation now is different for defenders and attackers shows what a mess they have made of it
I can’t say I’m surprised when David Ellery is Technical Director of IFAB

Well said.
Just like to add that I absolutely don't want to be sat around as in rugby listening in on what's said from the stand to the ref for 45 seconds or beyond, sometimes (which seems like an awfully long time to me). Some people on here have asked for it. One of the major reasons why I much prefer football to rugby, and always have, is that football flows. When it flows as played by the likes of Cruyff, Pélé, Maradona, Messi, it attains the blissful heights and that is why it is known the world over as the Beautiful Game. (Yes, when Jonah Lomu played rugby, it flowed, too — with constant stoppages for penalties that I often don't even understand the reason for, that seems a long time ago). The fewer stoppages there are in football the better. Already, VAR is stopping the game for one, two, three minutes while we sit around — and the players stand around — like charlies in the stadium. I don't want to eavesdrop on people talking into someone's earpiece. I want a figure in authority, aided by two officials on the touchline and a fourth official who, collectively, by and large, I can trust.
Bingo. My thoughts exactly but expressed in a coherent way - thanks!

Well said.
Just like to add that I absolutely don't want to be sat around as in rugby listening in on what's said from the stand to the ref for 45 seconds or beyond, sometimes (which seems like an awfully long time to me). Some people on here have asked for it. One of the major reasons why I much prefer football to rugby, and always have, is that football flows. When it flows as played by the likes of Cruyff, Pélé, Maradona, Messi, it attains the blissful heights and that is why it is known the world over as the Beautiful Game. (Yes, when Jonah Lomu played rugby, it flowed, too — with constant stoppages for penalties that I often don't even understand the reason for, that seems a long time ago). The fewer stoppages there are in football the better. Already, VAR is stopping the game for one, two, three minutes while we sit around — and the players stand around — like charlies in the stadium. I don't want to eavesdrop on people talking into someone's earpiece. I want a figure in authority, aided by two officials on the touchline and a fourth official who, collectively, by and large, I can trust.
But there is your issue people stopped trusting referees. I would much rather hear what is being said what are the officials afraid of. In rugby the discussions do not last long and because the referee deals with the event in an open manner which the public can hear we can understand the reasoning as to why decisions have been made. In football because of the secrecy nobody is any clearer as to why a decision has been made hence the controversies.

Every club gets their fair share of dodgy referee/VAR decisions , Pep very rarely refers to any decisions by officials because he knows the quality of his team and their ability to make any decisions irrelevant.
Managers like Arteta , Ten Bob and Klippety use any border line decisions as deflection tactics , it takes away the emphasis of how poor tactically and performance wise their team has played

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.