VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not directly linked to VAR but I had a few pints and a chat with a current Premier League referee the other day and he was saying that in all his years refereeing, he has never enjoyed it less than he has this season.

The main reason being the constant changing demands on interpretation of the laws.

In his own words… I don’t know whether I’m coming or fucking going from a Wednesday to a Saturday.

Not directly linked to VAR but I had a few pints and a chat with a current Premier League referee the other day and he was saying that in all his years refereeing, he has never enjoyed it less than he has this season.

The main reason being the constant changing demands on interpretation of the laws.

In his own words… I don’t know whether I’m coming or fucking going from a Wednesday to a Saturday.

My heart bleeds for them. And I'm not being facetious, it really does. Refereeing was a nearly impossible thankless task before VAR. Now with the way VAR is implemented and the constant changes to interpretation for the benefit of VAR it must be even worse. Constant abuse for decisions that don't seem to make any sense at all.

If you ask me, just leave decisions to the onfield referee's judgment, then at least they are personally responsible for any valid criticism they get, and if players are found to have cheated (diving/ faking), punish them retroactively with a one-game ban.

Is that to do with how Webb is directing them to apply the rules from game to game?

The narrative now seems to be 'Change Var so they can overturn yellows' Bollocks.
There is already too much interference from Var.
The game is run by sky and the PL are happy to let them run it. It was a terrible decision but it plays right into sky's hands who will now spend the week slagging the ref and the system. The ref that @Stepenn230 spoke to sums it up. Every single week the media (sky) demand a change about something as it fills their airtime. Make rules in August and ensure they are implemented all season with no changes...... but of course that doesn't suit sky.

I'll admit I have no idea what constitutes handball, a yellow or red card. I havent a clue what is or isnt a foul throw. I have no idea when a player in an off side position is interfering or not. I havent a clue.

All I know is the last City game i attended was the palace game. All 4 of Citys goals were checked by VAR for ages, 2 ruled out 2 given.
Palace goal was given within 5 seconds same as their penalty even with the foul on Bernie.
It left a bitter taste that it seemed our goals were examined alot more through than palace.

The narrative now seems to be 'Change Var so they can overturn yellows' Bollocks.
There is already too much interference from Var.
The game is run by sky and the PL are happy to let them run it. It was a terrible decision but it plays right into sky's hands who will now spend the week slagging the ref and the system. The ref that @Stepenn230 spoke to sums it up. Every single week the media (sky) demand a change about something as it fills their airtime. Make rules in August and ensure they are implemented all season with no changes...... but of course that doesn't suit sky.
For a long long time now Sly have been calling the shots. We have seen it unfolding over the years. They are an autonomous, self-servicing organisation that rules the Premier League and all who sail in her.
It is in their own business interests to promote the rag/dippers above all else and pay lip service to the lower-placed Prem teams. So far this season Wolves have been absolutely hung out to dry by pgmol and yet the officials answer to no one. No explanations, no justifying their decisions, but if a club dares to demand answers they are given a huge fine and warned of possible points deductions. It's fucking insane.

The way the English Prem is being run is making an absolute mockery out of our so-callled democratic country.

Is that to do with how Webb is directing them to apply the rules from game to game?

Obviously Webb is his immediate boss and he answers to him. But he said there were so many different people and organisations having their say, that’s there is bound to be contradictory advice.

One thing that surprised me was he said the League Managers Association often have a big say in matters.

Obviously Webb is his immediate boss and he answers to him. But he said there were so many different people and organisations having their say, that’s there is bound to be contradictory advice.

One thing that surprised me was he said the League Managers Association often have a big say in matters.
Not really surprising, we knew many years ago that the likes of GPC used to attend meetings with the LMA expressing what they would accept in terms of playing the game.

I think the point is that it should be the Head of the PGMOL that takes the laws of the game, with the understanding of other parties, and implements them across the board.

I thought it was bad under Reilly, but it’s been even more chaotic under Webb. It’s as if he works as the director for the entertainment industry, rather than the person to administer the rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.