VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being sacked is a bit extreme but being banned for six games with no pay would at the very least get rid of bias whether conscious or not.

Last nights non penalty for Chelsea is a disgrace and difficult to justify why the original non award was allowed to stand. It fuels the conspiracy theorists and justifiably so. Not having that decision reviewed by Tierney stinks of corruption.

I don’t understand why VAR officials couldn’t say “I think you got that wrong ref, there was definite contact, I’m going to send you to the monitor and you can decide whether there is enough contact to justify your decision or not.”

There is nothing stopping referees standing by their original decision after viewing the pitch side monitor but at the very least let the referee know that they may have got it wrong.

All fair points.

If they're found to be corrupt it ABSOLUTELY should result in jail time. We are talking potentially £MILLIONS in lost revenue.

Absolutely.

With pretty much every set of fans accusing VAR of corruption every time a decision goes against them - I struggle to believe they would manipulate results. Obviously can't rule it out. but there's zero proof aside poor decision making at times.

Absolutely.

With pretty much every set of fans accusing VAR of corruption every time a decision goes against them - I struggle to believe they would manipulate results. Obviously can't rule it out. but there's zero proof aside poor decision making at times.
They have manipulated results in the past and they will do in the future.
You’re very naive Mark.

They’ve done a poor job of stopping us winning things. I can only imagine the outrage if we actually lost a league title because of a contentious VAR decision.
True, but that wasn’t my point mate. Refs have in the past manipulated results. They have come out and admitted it (Clattenburg being the recent example) and I spend time with Mark Halsey over here who isn’t shy on telling a few stories.

True, but that wasn’t my point mate. Refs have in the past manipulated results. They have come out and admitted it (Clattenburg being the recent example) and I spend time with Mark Halsey over here who isn’t shy on telling a few stories.
Does Halsey say why he manipulated matches?

Does Halsey say why he manipulated matches?
I never said he did. I said he had a few stories to tell.
You might not agree but manipulating a game isn’t just disallowing a legit goal or not giving a bailed on Pen.
There’s far more subtle ways but of course you know that because you’re not daft.

I never said he did. I said he had a few stories to tell.
You might not agree but manipulating a game isn’t just disallowing a legit goal or not giving a bailed on Pen.
There’s far more subtle ways but of course you know that because you’re not daft.
Of course games can be reffed the way the ref wants, but manipulation to me means on purpose, whereas a ”homer” ref gets subconsciously swayed by crowds and angry players.

This isn’t really about VAR, so we should probably save this for another thread where it’s on topic.

It seems VAR‘s big issue this season is where the bar is set for them to get involved. They seem more reluctant to change decisions this season. The Nkuku penalty claim is a case in point. The VAR look at it from the angle of “Is there any way we can back up the onfield decision” rather than looking at it in isolation and saying that they can see VVD kick through Nkuku’s foot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.