VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not giving one of those pens last night for Chelsea was it manipulating the result? intentionally? Or was he so shit scared of Anfield Klopp the reaction of the media the pile on he would get if he gave one of those decisions and Liverpool didn't end up winning! I always said giving decisions against is easy there is no negative media reaction to it in fact it's lauded by the mass media!

Bottom line referees and web are shit scared at the fallout of the red shirts getting a bad decision..
But it’s not a bad decision, it would have been the correct decision to give a pen as Van Dijk clearly fouled Nkunku. Whereas the Spurs goal was a bad mistake

every single time i see that picture, i cannot believe it wasn't given as a pen.
It couldn't be given as a pen as for that season, and that season only, they were using the 't-shirt rule' where if any part of the ball hits the arm above an imaginary line roughly where the end of a short shirt sleeve is it CANNOT be given as a penalty. As the VAR footage couldn't prove one way or another whether it was definitely above or below the imaginary line they had no reason or justification in the guidelines to overrule the onfield decision of no penalty.
The fact that this decision is still talked about endlessly as a huge miscarriage of justice against Liverpool however many years later, despite being the correct decision according to the rules in place for that season, is the perfect demonstration of how the media give Liverpool a helping hand when it comes to refereeing decisions.
What referee is going to give a decision against Liverpool if their gobshite manager, psychopathic fans and paid mouthpieces in the press will cry out with outrage if anything less than a 70/30 decision doesn't go their way with coverage lasting weeks when a similar decision for any other team is met a wry chuckle and the classic refrain of 'it evens itself out over a season'.
This is why you can't brush against their keeper when attacking their goal or match their players physicality when winning the ball back. It's why they go onto games knowing they can foul, handball, punch, kick and hold onto opposition players with impunity. It's why they can go into games knowing that any over exagerated flop to the ground will result in a free-kick, penalty or card to the opposition.
As we saw last night the media pressure on referees is giving Liverpool a head start in games, particularly at Anfield, which gives them the psychological edge in big games. Their opposition know they have to play a beyond flawless game against them, teams have to score more legal goals against Liverpool at Anfield to even come away with a draw because of this.
Having said that though the Liverpool based outcry over this 'handball' decision is probably why they once again changed the handball rule to better suit VAR the next season, so their media manipulation of the referees isn't always bad as it was a bloody stupid rule.

I don't think we will ever agree regarding var mate.
We all had high expectations of var ensuring the correct decision would be made but it's all down to who is on var and how they wish to influence the result.
I speak to plenty of fans on the way to and from the game and I have rarely heard anyone in favour of continuing with var and in fact the overwhelming majority would scrap it and go back to knowing if a goal was scored and the referee gave it then it's a goal..not waiting for some twat in a box a couple of hundred miles away doing their upmost to disallow it ( depending on team obviously)
“We all had high expectations” - no we didn’t; I knew it would kill the enjoyment of celebrating a goal. And I was right.

“We all had high expectations” - no we didn’t; I knew it would kill the enjoyment of celebrating a goal. And I was right.
I was hoping that it might stop the obvious fuck up by the officials but to be honest it gives them even more chances to fuck up.
It was sold to the fans as for clear and obvious errors by the on pitch officials but how the fuck can it be clear and obvious if it takes an age to decide if it was an error.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.