VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking forward to Webb’s thorough and thoughtful explanation of what does and doesn’t constitute “an offside player interfering with play”, using the Chelsea and United VAR reviews as examples.

Looking forward to Webb’s thorough and thoughtful explanation of what does and doesn’t constitute “an offside player interfering with play”, using the Chelsea and United VAR reviews as examples.
Shame it's a PL show. He could have given first hand view on the naked Mole rats cuntery last night.

Dale Johnson at the VAR review has covered it today. I think someone said that he often asks PGMOL about decisions, and he's a little more independent, so probably worth reading.

It could be that PiGMOL supremo Howie Redshirt doesn't want to make a definitive statement as it precludes his merry men from making up a decision depending on the shirt colour.

Dale Johnson at the VAR review has covered it today. I think someone said that he often asks PGMOL about decisions, and he's a little more independent, so probably worth reading.

Thanks for sharing. I have read Johnson’s VAR Review on many occasions and he tends to take the same line as Webb and Gallagher in manufacturing whatever justification is necessary to legitimise a decision after the fact.

And, I have to say, he has outdone himself there. That is some of the most convoluted waffling I have read in some time. His case for why the Endo and Varane ‘offside blocking’ incidents are very different—and so rightly saw different decisions—is somehow both overly complex and stupidly simplistic (which is a new achievement).

He completely ignores the timing of the blocking relative to the play of the cross (it happened early, not late, in the Varane sequence) and the fact that Felipe then functionally blocked of his other teammates, inflates the significance of “floating” versus “driven” crosses in impacting set piece play (specifically in these scenarios), implies referees (VAR) need to analyse team tactics to inform their decisions (“were the defending team playing a low block or a high line, let’s dissect!”), and manages to make high certainty predictions as to which of Colwill and Felipe would have more of an unobstructed run to the ball if there hadn’t been a player intentionally standing offside to block defenders (even whilst ignoring factors that would impact such a prediction).

Ironically, it is exactly the explanation I would have anticipated from Webb.

It did. A non penalty in my opinion and given when two PSG players had tried to deceive the ref by diving only minutes before.
Cheers. Just saw that it was given at the end of second half stoppage, as well, and gave them a draw at home.

Shocking but not surprising.

Thanks for sharing. I have read Johnson’s VAR Review on many occasions and he tends to take the same line as Webb and Gallagher in manufacturing whatever justification is necessary to legitimise a decision after the fact.

And, I have to say, he has outdone himself there. That is some of the most convoluted waffling I have read in some time. His case for why the Endo and Varane ‘offside blocking’ incidents are very different—and so rightly saw different decisions—is somehow both overly complex and stupidly simplistic (which is a new achievement).

He completely ignores the timing of the blocking relative to the play of the cross (it happened early, not late, in the Varane sequence) and the fact that Felipe then functionally blocked of his other teammates, inflates the significance of “floating” versus “driven” crosses in impacting set piece play (specifically in these scenarios), implies referees (VAR) need to analyse team tactics to inform their decisions (“were the defending team playing a low block or a high line, let’s dissect!”), and manages to make high certainty predictions as to which of Colwill and Felipe would have more of an unobstructed run to the ball if there hadn’t been a player intentionally standing offside to block defenders (even whilst ignoring factors that would impact such a prediction).

Ironically, it is exactly the explanation I would have anticipated from Webb.

Johnson gets feedback from PGMOL and that would probably stop very quickly if he went against them. When he does say they have made a mistake you can be sure the "independent" review panel comes to the same conclusion in due course. He is just another Gallagher, granted with a better vocabulary.

Imho, his articles are useful though, as they give the PGMOL view much more coherently than interviews with Webb or Gallagher.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.