VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Johnson gets feedback from PGMOL and that would probably stop very quickly if he went against them. When he does say they have made a mistake you can be sure the "independent" review panel comes to the same conclusion in due course. He is just another Gallagher, granted with a better vocabulary.

Imho, his articles are useful though, as they give the PGMOL view much more coherently than interviews with Webb or Gallagher.

I don’t particularly doubt the review panel’s independence. It’s not like they have any particular great sway. I doubt most fans even know they exist. So I don’t really see the point of it, if they were being paid to just agree with the decisions.

The issue with them for me, is like the VARs themselves, they are being asked to vote on actual factual errors and side with the decisions whenever any degree of subjectivity is involved. Rather than pointing out what they actually think the best decision would have been.

Hence you get them voting 3-0 in favour of the decision to allow the Fernandez goal in last years derby.

I don’t particularly doubt the review panel’s independence. It’s not like they have any particular great sway. I doubt most fans even know they exist. So I don’t really see the point of it, if they were being paid to just agree with the decisions.

The issue with them for me, is like the VARs themselves, they are being asked to vote on actual factual errors and side with the decisions whenever any degree of subjectivity is involved. Rather than pointing out what they actually think the best decision would have been.

Hence you get them voting 3-0 in favour of the decision to allow the Fernandezal in last years derby.

Yep. It's just another part of the false "independence" used obsessively by the PL in a poor attempt to show good governance. Everywhere you look you see "independent" commissions / panels that aren't really independent. There are standards for ensuring independent review of process efficiency and the PL is nowhere near them, imho.

Just watching Watkins lovely finish for 2nd goal. Flagged offside when he’s on. This would have just been casually scrubbed off in previous years. No one mentions just how many perfectly good goals like this are now correctly given.

Just watching Watkins lovely finish for 2nd goal. Flagged offside when he’s on. This would have just been casually scrubbed off in previous years. No one mentions just how many perfectly good goals like this are now correctly given.
And there he is!

I wondered when you'd appear.

Rarely watch MOTD, so just an observation.
Would hate to go back to casually seeing perfectly good goals ruled offside - apologies if that’s such a ludicrous thought.
Not at all.

You are correct about the Villa goal.

As you know I'm a fan of VAR and any other technology that makes the correct decisions.

However, the VAR bod for Forest V Liverpool today must have gone for a piss when not reviewing a potential penalty for forest in injury time today. This same person has got the job for the Manchester derby tomorrow.

Imagine if he does the same eh?

Strange they couldn't find someone else to do that job. Meaning he has an potential influence in results of games involving the current top 2 teams in the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.