VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VAR was introduced (or so we all thought) to eliminate the real howlers like the Maradona hand-of-god, the Scotland-Wales WC Penalty at Anfield, or (for older City supporters) the Jeff Blockley handball at Highbury in 72-73.
Perhaps even De Bruyne's disallowed goal v Liverpool in the CL when the cameras proved that the ball had diverted from a Liverpool shirt?

It might also have disallowed SWP's equalizer in the famous 4-3 comeback at White Hart Lane. However, nobody mentioned marginal-offside when the technology was first mooted, and I didn't hear a single dissenting comment over the match experience in real-time, and how it would dilute the way we celebrate the moment

As for handball, it's actually muddied the waters for a rule that seems to get more complicated every time it's amended.
Grealish v the rags?
Grealish v Chelsea?
Rodri v Everton?

I can't comment because I literally don't understand the law anymore.

VAR was introduced (or so we all thought) to eliminate the real howlers like the Maradona hand-of-god, the Scotland-Wales WC Penalty at Anfield, or (for older City supporters) the Jeff Blockley handball at Highbury in 72-73.
Perhaps even De Bruyne's disallowed goal v Liverpool in the CL when the cameras proved that the ball had diverted from a Liverpool shirt?

It might also have disallowed SWP's equalizer in the famous 4-3 comeback at White Hart Lane. However, nobody mentioned marginal-offside when the technology was first mooted, and I didn't hear a single dissenting comment over the match experience in real-time, and how it would dilute the way we celebrate the moment

As for handball, it's actually muddied the waters for a rule that seems to get more complicated every time it's amended.
Grealish v the rags?
Grealish v Chelsea?
Rodri v Everton?

I can't comment because I literally don't understand the law anymore.
You are not alone. Howie Redshirt has been running around since taking over from Old Mother Riley to provide his PiGMOL colleagues with a definitive statement on what is handball. His latest instruction, which we've sensed for some time, was to make it up as you go along.

Why should Forest put up with it? It's either incompetence or corruption. You seem to think that clubs should just continually roll over , politely complain and accept a PGMOL apology the useless incompetent or corrupt official, either way it's the same result , then gets suspended for a game and then we all carry on in the same vein. Rinse repeat. I don't think PHMOL are good enough to be in charge of a multi billion pound business. Unless people make a stand against things that are clearly wrong nothing ever gets changed in any walk of life. I just wish City and other clubs would call this crap officiating out.

Why should Forest put up with it?! Well, they were certainly happy enough 2 years ago when VAR saved their arses at Wembley at our expense. Fuck em.

They are examples not a definition.

It’s not easy to give a definition that rules in everything you want reviewing and rules out everything that you don’t.

But that is what the authorities would need to do. They can’t have a system built around words like “howlers”
Not my job to define a howler but surely someone can come up with something that is better than the absolute shitshow that we have. All anyone really wants is to eliminate the howlers. I made a suggestion earlier about a 30 second time limit on the review. That should be enough to eliminate the vast majority I would have thought.

As someone said earlier, you could even use the phrase “clear and obvious” ;-)

Not my job to define a howler but surely someone can come up with something that is better than the absolute shitshow that we have. All anyone really wants is to eliminate the howlers. I made a suggestion earlier about a 30 second time limit on the review. That should be enough to eliminate the vast majority I would have thought.

As someone said earlier, you could even use the phrase “clear and obvious” ;-)

It does eliminate the howlers, if a player is clearly offside it’s ruled out, if a player clearly uses his hand it’s handball, if a player is clearly fouled in the box it’s a penalty deemed by VAR 99% of the time.
Very rarely is a ‘howler’ allowed.
The Coventry goal and Forest decisions were not howlers, they were all very marginal decisions.

Well that’s a matter of opinion.

Clearly not one that the big wigs at UEFA share though.
What we're your thoughts on Atwell letting utds offside goal stand and overuling the lino when on VAR a couple of years back? Happy with that, did you understand his rationale for coming to that conclusion?

You don't know that for certain tho do you? As far as I can see that's just your best guess as to how that offside was arrived at.

You haven't heard the audio, seen any slo mo video have you? So you are no more certain than I am.

Well they’ve come out and said no error was made and if Coventry want to, they can request and hear the audio or any of the process. I don’t believe they’d do that if they’re not sure they followed the same process they have done for every other one.

I don’t know it for certain absolutely but I’ve got no reason to think otherwise.

Just to reassert though, I never wanted Var in the first place and absolutely would rather a system, if we have to have one, that allows for goals like Coventrys to stand.

It does eliminate the howlers, if a player is clearly offside it’s ruled out, if a player clearly uses his hand it’s handball, if a player is clearly fouled in the box it’s a penalty deemed by VAR 99% of the time.
Very rarely is a ‘howler’ allowed.
The Coventry goal and Forest decisions were not howlers, they were all very marginal decisions.
That is my point! Just rule out the howlers. VAR reviews done in 30 seconds and no dodgy millimetre offsides, non-sensical handballs etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.