VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VAR question I know they can only recommend a red or nothing but if a challenge went in and ref gave nothing VAR send him to screen as poss red he doesn't believe it's a red but now thinks yellow can he give a yellow on the basis of what he has viewed?
No

Baby steps I suppose. But doesn’t really offer much, other than a slightly longer delay.

They only use it so far on the rare occasion they overturn an onfiejd decision. So as soon as the referee is obviously about to do a speech, the crowd know he’s overturning the decision and often drown out what he’s saying with cheers/ boos anyway.

Glad VAR was there tonight in the Real-Bayern match to ensure the referee didn’t make any major, match-defining errors…

Glad VAR was there tonight in the Real-Bayern match to ensure the referee didn’t make any major, match-defining errors…
The Referee Consultant on Paramount+, who they bring in to explain incidents and decisions, and usually defend the officials, has just said the assistant and the referee made clear mistakes for Bayern’s potential equaliser.

She was visibly unhappy about it, and said it is never a good night when she has to acknowledge such egregious errors that have such an immense impact on the game.

The Referee Consultant on Paramount+, who they bring in to explain incidents and decisions, and usually defend the officials, has just said the assistant and the referee made clear mistakes for Bayern’s potential equaliser.

She was visibly unhappy about it, and said it is never a good night when she has to acknowledge such egregious errors that have such an immense impact on the game.

Not seen it. The Polish guy was the referee who did the World Cup and Champions League Finals last year, wasn’t he?

Normally a very good referee

Not seen it. The Polish guy was the referee who did the World Cup and Champions League Finals last year, wasn’t he?

Normally a very good referee
I actually commented prior to the match that I thought he was currently the best referee in Europe.

But that series of mistakes at the end really calls in to question the integrity of their officiating.

I personally put it mostly on the referee, not the assistant, because he should have ignored the flag until the chance had resolved, as he did with what ended up being Real Madrid’s winner, which was initially disallowed for offside (the flag had gone up well before Rudiger had put the ball in for Joselu’s tap in), before VAR intervened to review the offside and then give the goal.

That passage of play and officiating compared to the would-be Bayern late equaliser is very suspect, especially as the referee whistle just as the ball fell to De Ligt in an obviously advantaged position to shoot on goal (and he put in just after the whistle went).

You know it was bad when someone who despises Bayern is defending their grievances as legitimate.

That Bayern onside was officiated as though VAR didn't exist and that's the only problem I see. It definitely wouldn't have stood without VAR so not being able to bring VAR in to spot the error is the error.

The linesman thought it was offside so he had to raise his flag however the ref was too trigger happy in stopping play. Unless it's clear and obvious then the benefit should always be given to the attacker because VAR can sort everything afterwards.

I think it was fair anyway because had the linesman spotted it as onside then I think Madrid would of defended it because they stopped playing as soon as the whistle blew.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.