VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That Bayern onside was officiated as though VAR didn't exist and that's the only problem I see. It definitely wouldn't have stood without VAR so not being able to bring VAR in to spot the error is the error.

The linesman thought it was offside so he had to raise his flag however the ref was too trigger happy in stopping play. Unless it's clear and obvious then the benefit should always be given to the attacker because VAR can sort everything afterwards.

I think it was fair anyway because had the linesman spotted it as onside then I think Madrid would have defended it because they stopped playing as soon as the whistle blew.
It definitely could have stood, given a current referee on Paramount+ said it would likely have stood had the passage been allowed to progress.

The issue was the referee stopping play and denying that possibility of VAR reviewing after the ball was in the back of the net.

Also, the whistle blew as the ball was falling to De Ligt, so there wasn’t much the Real Madrid defenders could do at that point, especially as Rudiger—the defender closest to the ball—had run past De Ligt at that point. It was De Ligt and the keeper at that point, and I don’t think he saves the shot.

I am posting about the incident in this thread primarily as an example of how on-pitch officiating has changed with the adoption of VAR, and how referees can manipulate VAR use (unintentionally or otherwise).

Last edited:
It definitely could have stood, given a current referee on Paramount+ said it would likely have stood had the passage been allowed to progress.

The issue was the referee stopping play allowing that possibility.

Also, the whistle blew as the ball was falling to De Ligt, so there wasn’t much the Real Madrid defenders could do at that point, especially Rudiger had run past De Ligt at that point.
I think the ref must have been watching Hoopers performance in the spurs match.

Everyone seems to think that was onside. I want the linesman to be in control, so I can't blame the linesman for flagging. The two players were well ahead of Rudiger there and just moved to soon. Unless you are telling me de Ligt was smart enough to judge his run against where Rudiger's heel was at that precise moment. Which is clearly bollocks. He was looking along the line and moved too early, imho.

The reason it is a mess is purely the VAR protocol for offside. Should the linesman have flagged, or let it go? Should the referee have blown or let it go? When was the end of the active phase? Where was Rudiger's heel to the mm (ffs)? Which, again imho, is all bollocks and is ruining yet another part of the game.

Last edited:
United fans having a meltdown on X/Twitter over Michael Oliver being on VAR for the F.A.Cup Final. Really is a joy to see the piss boiling

Is standard protocol for the linesman to call...

"Delay... Delay..."

when they believe it's offside but will wait for the attack to finish before flagging?

Also the fact UEFA haven't produced visual confirmation that shows Mazzaroi was actually offside says to me he was onside.

United fans having a meltdown on X/Twitter over Michael Oliver being on VAR for the F.A.Cup Final. Really is a joy to see the piss boiling
I loathed Oliver for about the past 5 years, because he refed almost all of our games against Liverpool. Blind towards all the dives and fouls they make.

Somehow the narrative has sprung out that he is 'our referee'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.