VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What if it’s endemic of the behaviour in PGMOL?

Then if PGMOL is doing it then I’d agree the clubs would have a case as it shows they aren’t capable of governing - that I’d agree far more about it being abuse of discretion if they were aware of the motives behind Deans actions. I don’t think it applies to Dean himself.

Then if PGMOL is doing it then I’d agree the clubs would have a case as it shows they aren’t capable of governing - that I’d agree far more about it being abuse of discretion if they were aware of the motives behind Deans actions. I don’t think it applies to Dean himself.

He’s confessed his motives.

Mike Dean’s admission, and especially this passage, essentially proves what I and many others have asserted for quite awhile now: the referees know there is no real accountability for their corrupt decisions.

"That was a major error. If they don't score from the corner it is not as big an issue," Dean said.

"I knew full well I would be stood down the week after."

And this was an example of corruption because once these types of incidents become commonplace, with authorities making no real attempts to prevent them, it becomes corruption. You cannot claim simple errors or incompetence when governing bodies are aware they are happening, have the tools to prevent them (and/or are aware the current mitigation methods are not working), but choose not to make changes to stop them.

Jobs for the boys is also a form of corruption, even if it is less egregious than more bombastic types like bribery, extortion, or illicit manipulation (which is likely also taking place in the PL).

I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but here we go again:

1 baffling decision is a mistake.
5 baffling decisions is incompetence.
10+ baffling decisions is corruption.

For those that missed it:

This also yet another feather in the cap for calls for an independent entity to handle VAR.

This admission would literally be criminal in any other regulatory scenario.

Can you imagine what would happen if a FCA inspector said they didn’t bring a colleague up on missing obvious and egregious regulatory violations because they were not just his coworker but also his friend and he wanted to protect them from consequences?

We all knows that happens in the financial industry, given regulatory capture — at least I know for a fact it does — but it is rarely brought in to the public.

And this is an example of regulatory capture in the PL.

Last edited:
I know, and if he confessed them at the time to PGMOL (or willingly didn’t scrutinise enough), then I’d be absolutely saying they’re corrupt.

So Dean has to go to the PGMOL confessional & say “bless me Howard for I have sinned, it’s been 1 week since my last confession.” How about the question is asked by the assessor as per below….

Each Premier League match is evaluated by a former senior referee who scrutinises every decision using the match footage and event data to measure the officials' technical performance. Former players and managers (Match Delegates) assess the accuracy and consistency of decision-making and their management of the match.

Taylor says he missed it & then over to Mike Dean & he has to say he missed it or he saw it & let it go.

Or the Assessor missed it so didn’t ask the referee who missed it & therefore didn’t ask the VAR about it.

Last edited:
Mike Dean’s admission, and especially this passage, essentially proves what I and many others have asserted for quite awhile now: the referees know there is no real accountability for their corrupt decisions.

"That was a major error. If they don't score from the corner it is not as big an issue," Dean said.

"I knew full well I would be stood down the week after."

And this was an example of corruption because once these types of incidents become commonplace, with authorities making no real attempts to prevent them, it becomes corruption. You cannot claim simple errors or incompetence when governing bodies are aware they are happening, have the tools to prevent them (and/or are aware the current mitigation methods are not working), but choose not to make changes to stop them.

Jobs for the boys is also a form of corruption, even if it is less egregious than more bombastic types like bribery, extortion, or illicit manipulation (which is likely also taking place in the PL).

I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but here we go again:

1 baffling decision is a mistake.
5 baffling decisions is incompetence.
10+ baffling decisions is corruption.

For those that missed it:

This also yet another feather in the cap for calls for an independent entity to handle VAR.

This admission would literally be criminal in any other regulatory scenario.

Can you imagine what would happen if a FCA inspector said they didn’t bring a colleague up on missing obvious and egregious regulatory violations because they were not just his coworker but also his friend and he wanted to protect them from consequences?

We all knows that happens in the financial industry, given regulatory capture — at least I know for a fact it does — but it is rarely brought in to the public.

And this is an example of regulatory capture in the PL.

We investigate & ban players for bookings but referees get a week off match deciding decisions.

There needs to be a bit more critical thinking.

I also don’t think Dean is that naive saying this, I think he’s thrown a hand grenade.

So Dean has to go to the PGMOL confessional & say “bless me Howard for I have sinned, it’s been 1 week since my last confession.” How about the question is asked by the assessor as per below….

Each Premier League match is evaluated by a former senior referee who scrutinises every decision using the match footage and event data to measure the officials' technical performance. Former players and managers (Match Delegates) assess the accuracy and consistency of decision-making and their management of the match.

Michael Oliver says he missed it & then over to Mike Dean & he has to say he missed it or he saw it & let it go.

Or the Assessor missed it so didn’t ask the referee who missed it & therefore didn’t ask the VAR about it.

Or the whole accountability thing is a sham and should rebuilt from the bottom up.

Michael Oliver says he missed it & then over to Mike Dean & he has to say he missed it or he saw it & let it go.

Not sure I get your point? If they just missed it it’s incompetence. If they either knew about it or knowingly missed it then I agree it’s corruption.

Like I said earlier, I agree with the idea of an independent body running VAR and also a different one running the assessments as either way, it shows having pgmol doing all of it doesn’t work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.