VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure I get your point? If they just missed it it’s incompetence. If they either knew about it or knowingly missed it then I agree it’s corruption.

Like I said earlier, I agree with the idea of an independent body running VAR and also a different one running the assessments as either way, it shows having pgmol doing all of it doesn’t work.

Every decision is scrutinised by VAR & then an assessor. The reason for that is to stop corruption but it didn’t so they accept corruption & yet it’s brushed off as incompetence.

Incompetence is the best cover for corruption & I don’t buy it.

They should outsource the whole PGMOL operation to you, me and Seb. We would sort it out in 12 months (if you could stop Seb and me arguing ......).

I’m sorry it would be most corrupt ever, I’d have those Rag bastards relegated by Xmas….. err I mean I might make a few mistakes ;)

We investigate & ban players for bookings but referees get a week off match deciding decisions.

There needs to be a bit more critical thinking.

I also don’t think Dean is that naive saying this, I think he’s thrown a hand grenade.
I completely agree. This is not something you just flippantly say on a podcast.

I think he very much knew what he was doing when he very publicly admitted what amounts to an officiating scandal. For what purpose, who knows--he could have many different aims.

But this admission most certainly indicates, simple by the law of averages, that this was not the only time this happened. And I would go so far as to say perhaps half of the baffling decisions involving VAR over the last few years could be explained by "lads protecting their mates". Which, again, is a form of corruption.

VAR needs to handled by an interdependent entity, overseen by the government's sporting regulator, with transparent comms, and weekly updated/published assessment and merit/demerit points system for both the on-field officials and VAR crews to hold them accountable (in the same way coaches, managers, and players are held accountable).

And I think they should actually be paid quite a bit more (and by the government's independent regulator) to compensate for the additional scrutiny/stress involved at this level (it is difficult to get good referees when the pay does not match the bother, and it is too easy to influence their decision-making when their livelihood hinges on keeping the teams and league they are officiating happy), to lessen the risk of illicit influence based on bribery/extortion, and to incentivise fairer officiating (as their generous livelihood would be dependent on the merit/demerit system).

Officials should not be above accountability and consequence.

Not sure I get your point? If they just missed it it’s incompetence. If they either knew about it or knowingly missed it then I agree it’s corruption.

Like I said earlier, I agree with the idea of an independent body running VAR and also a different one running the assessments as either way, it shows having pgmol doing all of it doesn’t work.
There really isn’t a lot of questions being asked is there.
They should outsource the whole PGMOL operation to you, me and Seb. We would sort it out in 12 months (if you could stop Seb and me arguing ......).

The five of us (I am including @BlueHammer85) would be the modern day team of rivals.

We'd be fighting all the time, but, by the gods, the officiating for matches would be as fair as it could possibly be.

Every decision is scrutinised by VAR & then an assessor. The reason for that is to stop corruption but it didn’t so they accept corruption & yet it’s brushed off as incompetence.

Incompetence is the best cover for corruption & I don’t buy it.

Well not being able to spot corruption is incompetent in itself too :)

Make all those three independent of each other would be a start and would deal with the root cause of what Dean was saying. Pretty sure that’s what he’s advocating by publicly saying what he has.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.