VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lets take the Rashford offside/goal (disgraceful decision I repeat over and over)

we get to the hear the transcript -

Lino flags 'offside ref'
Ref 'hold up, I didn't see Rashford touch the ball are you sure there was enough interference'
Lino 'I'm not to sure, you maybe right
Ref 'yeh looked like he didn't interfere '

Goal stands.

I mean we can pretty much guess that was the conversation. would that have satisfied ?

- I would like also to have more transparency and what was said, but I'm still unsure it will satisfy and i think the transcripts can be read and manipulated to make it look really corrupt.
"Just give the goal Stuart (Atwell)"

What if it’s endemic of the behaviour in PGMOL?

And that's the point, in any respectable regulatory environment, there would be an independent investigation into all of Dean's decisions to see if there was a pattern, and probably into the environment as a whole to see if Dean is a one-off or indicative of the environment as a whole.

PGMOL? Crickets I imagine.

And the more effort attempting to make it perfect by constantly changing the rules is just pissing into the wind.

So are offside decisions as hotly debated as they were a few years ago ? Same for handball decisions?

Still odd uproar, but both improving season on season.

It is ever evolving, and can only do so by trial and error especially when so many laws and interpretations are in the mix.

I’m for continuing down this path instead of giving up and going back to how it was - i understand for others they feel differently.

Lets take the Rashford offside/goal (disgraceful decision I repeat over and over)

Lino flags 'offside ref'
Ref 'hold up, I didn't see Rashford touch the ball are you sure there was enough interference'

Goal stands.

I mean we can pretty much guess that was the conversation. would that have satisfied ?

- I would like also to have more transparency and what was said, but I'm still unsure it will satisfy and i think the transcripts can be read and manipulated to make it look really corrupt.
There's no 2 ways at looking at it it's a terrible decision that just looks like corruption with no other option but yes a good devil's advocate arguement.

The bit I'd expect the var to input during that is "it looks like the keeper is adjusting his position based on the offside attacker do you want to come to the monitor to check that you're sure?"

I don't mind not liking the decision. But I always want to understand things...

Lino flags 'offside ref'

Goal stands.

Let’s discuss that & ask yourself how did that even become “subjective”. There’s not a person who has played the game or refereed the game that would have considered that as a legitimate goal. On the back of that you had the most experienced linesman in the EPL flagging it off.

& yet we had a referee, VAR team & head of PGMOL telling us that we only learnt after that football doesn’t want that goal allowed & in future it won’t be.

How fucking thick do they take us for?

You know there’s a thread on another page explaining we’ve had 1 penalty in the league versus the Rags in over 50 years, obviously it’s not corruption, it’s just mistakes. Even with a system that’s there to stop them.

So are offside decisions as hotly debated as they were a few years ago ? Same for handball decisions?

Still odd uproar, but both improving season on season.

It is ever evolving, and can only do so by trial and error especially when so many laws and interpretations are in the mix.

I’m for continuing down this path instead of giving up and going back to how it was - i understand for others they feel differently.
We're 2 weeks or so into the season and there's been a few people are complaining about already but too early to say if there are improvements but yes more changes begets more problems and solutions.... That's just a fact of changing things

the problem is, every single officiating mistake, every wrong decision can just be labelled as 'corruption' (in many forms)

Mike Dean admitting he should have sent ref over and deeply regrets he doesn't - is that really proof of 'corruption' ? it was a human error. Not saying it's acceptable either. but it's clear he didn't make that decision on the back of a dodgy envelope and higher instructions from the FA.

Unless we have an officiating system with or without VAR that can guarantee every single decision is 100% correct, that can satisfy both sets of players, managers and fans at all times - then everything is just labelled as 'corrupt'
It's interesting that you have omitted the reason why he didn't send the ref over, which leads me to believe you are choosing to ignore and address the very point that posters are alluding to: that he didn't want his 'mate' to get any grief.

How many other reasons can you think of that a ref/VAR might choose to consciously ignore and refuse to implement a rule that would correct an obvious error during a match that is being played? How many of those reasons do not fall under corruption? How many do fall under corruption?

Last edited:

Lino flags 'offside ref'

Goal stands.

No, because now with the stupid rules they have in place they have to consider individually the four criteria for interfering with play. If they don't they aren't doing their job properly. Don't forget the justification for letting the goal stand was that none of the four criteria applied so they had no option but to give it. Which was bollocks btw. But let's at least hear them considering them.

Btw, I would love to hear the real-time justification for not interfering with Akanji's decision to step up and put himself at a two metre disadvantage exactly to play Rashford offside (which he did) or for not interfering with Ederson positioning himself for a shot from Rashford and then being blindsided by Fernandes.

Still raw, as you can tell :)

And that's the point, in any respectable regulatory environment, there would be an independent investigation into all of Dean's decisions to see if there was a pattern, and probably into the environment as a whole to see if Dean is a one-off or indicative of the environment as a whole.

PGMOL? Crickets I imagine.

It seems they are far keener to investigate players that deny wrongdoing compared to referees that admit to deliberately manipulating LOTG.

Some proper brass neck on you Mark. Even though there’s irrefutable proof that there’s decisions being made in the VAR room that are dishonest and against the integrity of the game you’re still coming up with your usual nonsense to defend it.
What Dean has said is indefensible and should worry all involved at the top levels of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.