VAR Discussion Thread | 2024/25

You didn’t. The ‘onside’ caption that appears on screen is confirmation that the goal isn’t going to be disallowed for offside. The referee will have had this information relayed to him at the same time.

Once that has been confirmed the VAR then has a quick check that no offence has taken place in the build up, before informing the referee he is good to stick with his original decision.
The commentator on Australian tv told me before any graphic popped up or the ref knew.

The Var lovers need not reply. I am getting sick of football being ruined. Even Sky praised our first goal, the interplay was excellent but oh hang on, Bernies toe nail might just have been offside. It ruins the whole experience especially as we had to wait ages for them to decide.
Then we had the offside farce where they attacked, regrouped and attacked again, then a cup of tea before another attack and then the linesman put his flag up. I accept it isn't his fault, it's the order he has been given...... but it is shit.
19 minutes into the new season and I'm fucked off with it.

You just love playing the part of being the most outraged.

You didn’t. The ‘onside’ caption that appears on screen is confirmation that the goal isn’t going to be disallowed for offside. The referee will have had this information relayed to him at the same time.

Once that has been confirmed the VAR then has a quick check that no offence has taken place in the build up, before informing the referee he is good to stick with his original decision.
I think they are referring to the fact that the broadcast commentators often announce the outcome of the VAR reviews before either the referee or the screen in the stadium (or any graphics on the broadcast), as was the case multiple times yesterday during our match.

For example, on the NBC broadcast I was watching, the commentator announced that our first goal was cleared by VAR before the referee pointed to the centre circle or a graphic was displayed anywhere showing the outcome of their VAR review.

I presume this is because the commentators—unlike the fans—can hear the official coms in real-time.

Which is not much different to you being the biggest cheerleader.

Not particularly, I point out moments where VAR has overturned correctly and how it can be approved etc to add to the discussion - but it's clear some just want a echo chamber to vent and moan.

Not particularly, I point out moments where VAR has overturned correctly and how it can be approved etc to add to the discussion - but it's clear some just want an echo chamber to vent and moan.
Maybe some people’s love of the game has genuinely been affected by VAR and their complaints come from more than wanting a moan and an echo chamber?
Personally I’ve stopped giving a shit. Life’s too short.

Maybe some people’s love of the game has genuinely been affected by VAR and their complaints come from more than wanting a moan and an echo chamber?
Personally I’ve stopped giving a shit. Life’s too short.

For sure, and i understand and get there reasoning.
but i think for others they are constantly looking for an angle to criticize it, often in the conspiracy land.

I think they are referring to the fact that the broadcast commentators often announce the outcome of the VAR reviews before either the referee or the screen in the stadium (or any graphics on the broadcast), as was the case multiple times yesterday during our match.

For example, on the NBC broadcast I was watching, the commentator announced that our first goal was cleared by VAR before the referee pointed to the centre circle or a graphic was displayed anywhere showing the outcome of their VAR review.

I presume this is because the commentators—unlike the fans—can hear the official coms in real-time.

I think, and it’s the same answer to the guy above watching Australian TV, to save me replying twice, that people are getting confused between the VAR confirming a player was on side and then actually confirming the goal. And I include TV commentators in that.

A commentator or a punter at home might see/ hear the ‘onside’ call. That will simultaneously be relayed to the referee.

The reason the referee still stands there not reacting to that information is because the VAR is then checking the APP ( attacking phase of play )

Even if the commentators can hear the live feed, they can’t possibly know what he’s telling the referee before the referee hears it. Well unless there’s some fault with their comms. I suppose.

I think, and it’s the same answer to the guy above watching Australian TV, to save me replying twice, that people are getting confused between the VAR confirming a player was on side and then actually confirming the goal. And I include TV commentators in that.

A commentator or a punter at home might see/ hear the ‘onside’ call. That will simultaneously be relayed to the referee.

The reason the referee still stands there not reacting to that information is because the VAR is then checking the APP ( attacking phase of play )

Even if the commentators can hear the live feed, they can’t possibly know what he’s telling the referee before the referee hears it. Well unless there’s some fault with their comms. I suppose.
I am not sure it is actually simultaneously relayed to the referee. Or, relayed to the referee before the commentators know, anyway.

That is because it is my understanding that the commentators not only hear the realtime official coms, but they can also see the VAR review feed with the actual offside lines as they are being drawn and positioned (which are now not shown to fans, either on TV or in the stadium). And the referee is certainly not seeing that live video feed.

So, in the case of offside, there are instances where the commentators know the outcome of a VAR review before even the referee is told by VAR. It is usually only a second or two before, but it does happen.

Now, technically it is only an official decision when VAR tells the referee, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause confusion for fans when the commentators announce it before the referee hears and indicates on the pitch.

I am not sure it is actually simultaneously relayed to the referee. Or, relayed to the referee before the commentators know, anyway.

That is because it is my understanding that the commentators not only hear the realtime official coms, but they can also see the VAR review feed with the actual offside lines as they are being drawn and positioned (which are now not shown to fans, either on TV or in the stadium). And the referee is certainly not seeing that live video feed.

So, in the case of offside, there are instances where the commentators know the outcome of a VAR review before even the referee is told by VAR. It is usually only a second or two before, but it does happen.

Now, technically it is only an official decision when VAR tells the referee, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause confusion for fans when the commentators announce it before the referee hears and indicates on the pitch.

Yes, I agree. Having an on screen caption and/ or the commentators relaying an offside decision and then cutting to a shot of the referee stood motionless for 30 seconds, can be confusing. And is probably something they should like at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.