VAR (PL introduction 2019)

big questions are who controls the replays and what angle to show the best outcome also slow motion video is going to make it worse to show any form of impact in tackles the rules in football are not black and white and will need rewriting for video assisted refereeing and the rule about ungentlemanly conduct got to be but to bed

i have a question for the football pundits and its about the new goal line technology
can the keeper save a shot and fall onto the post with the ball and into the side netting with the ball still touching the post at all times and the ball is right around the other side of the post with the net holding it and the ball is still touching the post in the netting groove is it a goal

If I was a ref, I'd want to see what everybody watching on TV is permitted to see. It seems only fair. They'll still have to make an honest decision on what they see, which is what they should be doing now with the available evidence in real time. That's not to say that dishonesty is out of the question. But we'd all know what they saw because we'd all have seen the same images. As it stands, they don't see as much as people watching on TV or even some in the ground, so there's a grey area that breeds uncertainty and mistrust.

The game needs to become more modern, the laws more prescriptive and separated from the details of protocol, equipment and pitch markings, which quite clearly are just a load of empty words except at the higher levels. In short, it's time to abandon the vain pretence that there's one universal version of football that's played by everybody all over the world and that it's enshrined in FIFA's laws of the game. I don't think that the four home FAs do any good by hanging on to their special status as founders of the game. Unless they actually want to instigate some serious reformation. It only took about 150 years to tweak the offside law to where it is now. The administrators of the game have been seriously ripping it off for decades while hiding behind the convenient lie that nothing could change unless it was within the means of amateur leagues in Outer Mongolia.

For people who want VAR have you actually watched any of the leagues that use it?

I was actually watching a MLS game that supposedly had VAR but you wouldn't know because the ref never called on it to be used. He missed a penalty i think and so was cocksure of his decision he didn't ask for a VAR check.
If you get a ref who doesnt want to be wrong there will still be lots of mistakes. I think its only mandatory for goals? Otherwise its at the refs discretion.

For people who want VAR have you actually watched any of the leagues that use it?
Only rugby union, which in my view has the best set of practices and procedures for governing matches in Sport. Football would be improved by adopting the majority including VAR. in rugby, it’s sometimes a pain in the arse when they spend minutes looking at VAR, but you always get the sense that decisions are fair and that the referee has followed a sound rationale. Nothing like the bandits we ‘enjoy’ every week in the PL.

I was actually watching a MLS game that supposedly had VAR but you wouldn't know because the ref never called on it to be used. He missed a penalty i think and so was cocksure of his decision he didn't ask for a VAR check.
If you get a ref who doesnt want to be wrong there will still be lots of mistakes. I think its only mandatory for goals? Otherwise its at the refs discretion.

I keep wondering how this works. You can't use VAR for "missed" penalties. VAR doesn't help with this. You can only use it to confirm whether the penalty you whistled for was right or not.

And if it is not . . . if VAR overturns your call . . . who gets the ball and where is it placed?

In theory -- VAR should lead to a lot more penalties called and a lot fewer offsides called.

I still ascribe to the notion that teams should get one or maybe two defensive challenges (on pens, red cards and offside) and that's it.

I keep wondering how this works. You can't use VAR for "missed" penalties. VAR doesn't help with this. You can only use it to confirm whether the penalty you whistled for was right or not.

And if it is not . . . if VAR overturns your call . . . who gets the ball and where is it placed?
It has lots of holes for sure. The game still relies heavily on the competence of the referee. I am far from sure on its complete workings but if a ref doesn't think its a penalty i don't think he's likely to have to have it checked so nothing would happen.
Id like to know more about how it is used. My understanding is that the VAR is at the ref's discretion and will only be used when called upon by the ref. I believe actual goals are the only time the VAR is ALWAYS referenced. I'd like to know if the VAR has the ability to say to the ref "hey that challenge just now was a definite penalty - you need to give it" or "you missed a serious red card offence". Does the VAR have the ability to interrupt the game? I dont think so.

VAR has been about as as good as a chocolate fireguard in the test leagues (Bundesliga and MLS).
The implantation rules have shown up the issues that have been raised on previous pages.
For one the comms between Referee and VAR has to be made public to ensure correct decisions. For another the current ignoring of missed offences is criminal.
As things stand it is a tool that helps referees influence games rather than making sure the right decision occurs.

VAR has been about as as good as a chocolate fireguard in the test leagues (Bundesliga and MLS).
The implantation rules have shown up the issues that have been raised on previous pages.
For one the comms between Referee and VAR has to be made public to ensure correct decisions. For another the current ignoring of missed offences is criminal.
As things stand it is a tool that helps referees influence games rather than making sure the right decision occurs.

Why? Is it your contention we need such to avoid tampering or collusion? Such communication doesn't happen in any American sport AFAIK.

"Missed offences" of an egregious nature (cf. Splashley Young's elbow) can at least be dealt with in retrospect today, but you're right that VAR does nothing to help in-match vigilance of such offenses.

I personally believe the one referee/two linesman rule in football is crazy. Far too much ground to cover especially at the pace at which players play today. Other Americans have brought this up repeatedly. I think two linesman per touchline (each taking half plus half each end line) and two referees makes more sense. Hockey has two refs and two linesman on a rink that is 1/5th the size of a football pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.