VAR (PL introduction 2019)

The standard of officiating over the last few years has been appalling and this should improve things but there again it will be viewed by the same people who make those decisions in the first place so not holding my breath.

VAR isn't going to help on penalties that should have been called, nor offside that shouldn't have been (unless it's offside interference), so it's no panacea.

If a ref whistles for a pen and it isn't one, where is the ball placed and who gets it?

There will still be plenty of opportunities for bad officials to screw up.

I like the idea of teams getting challenges, one or two apiece, to minimize slowing down the game and so that VAR is only for real game-changing decisions.

The standard of officiating over the last few years has been appalling and this should improve things but there again it will be viewed by the same people who make those decisions in the first place so not holding my breath.
Correct and I am not holding my breath either - unless it is transparent and the views the panel are studying are also seen on the large screens in grounds

VAR isn't going to help on penalties that should have been called, nor offside that shouldn't have been (unless it's offside interference), so it's no panacea. There will still be plenty of opportunities for bad officials to screw up.

I like the idea of teams getting challenges, one or two apiece, to minimize slowing down the game and so that VAR is only for real game-changing decisions.
That's right, say each manager can have two challenges per game for example.

That's right, say each manager can have two challenges per game for example.

And my worry there would be using them for time-wasting at the end of a match on stupid things like throw-ins. Goals are few and far between, so I lean toward one challenge. And all challenges are basically defensive.

1) I can challenge if my player gets a straight red or a second yellow.
2) I can challenge for an offside flag that didn't come on a goal scored by the opposition.
3) I can challenge if a penalty is awarded against my team.

In US baseball, where managers can challenge for replay (was a runner safe or out, mostly), one of the coaches quickly gets on the phone in the dugout on a controversial play and checks with his own video replay team before deciding to challenge. Then the umpires radio league headquarters to look at the play. It works well, but it does slow down an already slow game.

i'm watching the spurs game again,2 reds for them and another pen on mangler all fucked up by the ref,half of those and it would have helped us at the time
red cards tackles and pens,automatic as it goes along as it did in the spain v france game,it was perfect and 2 of the goal desicions were righted that the officials got wrong,it can only help although it won't be perfect,automatic as it wastes too much time having the managers challenges

And my worry there would be using them for time-wasting at the end of a match on stupid things like throw-ins. Goals are few and far between, so I lean toward one challenge. And all challenges are basically defensive.

1) I can challenge if my player gets a straight red or a second yellow.
2) I can challenge for an offside flag that didn't come on a goal scored by the opposition.
3) I can challenge if a penalty is awarded against my team.

In US baseball, where managers can challenge for replay (was a runner safe or out, mostly), one of the coaches quickly gets on the phone in the dugout on a controversial play and checks with his own video replay team before deciding to challenge. Then the umpires radio league headquarters to look at the play. It works well, but it does slow down an already slow game.
However or whichever way it goes, all I ask for is transparency, but I suspect the FA would not want that

i'm watching the spurs game again,2 reds for them and another pen on mangler all fucked up by the ref,half of those and it would have helped us at the time
red cards tackles and pens,automatic as it goes along as it did in the spain v france game,it was perfect and 2 of the goal desicions were righted that the officials got wrong,it can only help although it won't be perfect,automatic as it wastes too much time having the managers challenges

Karen, how will this work? If a player gets a yellow or even just fouls, does the official stop play every time to see if he should have been given a red? Same with pens -- there's no way to stop an ongoing play to see if a ref should have called a pen. To your point re: Spain/France, a challenge or replay only works after a call has been made, to reverse or confirm it, during a match.

There might be some other implications. Maybe replay would mean that refs would call far more potential pens since they could have their mistakes reversed (but I'm still wondering how a restart works if replay overrules a penalty call). It's the opposite for offside -- lines people might call far fewer because a mistake can be reversed.

Karen, how will this work? If a player gets a yellow or even just fouls, does the official stop play every time to see if he should have been given a red? Same with pens -- there's no way to stop an ongoing play to see if a ref should have called a pen. To your point re: Spain/France, a challenge or replay only works after a call has been made, to reverse or confirm it, during a match.

There might be some other implications. Maybe replay would mean that refs would call far more potential pens since they could have their mistakes reversed (but I'm still wondering how a restart works if replay overrules a penalty call). It's the opposite for offside -- lines people might call far fewer because a mistake can be reversed.
how it worked in that game the goals are looked at in seconds not minutes and it's given or not,the players have to wait 10 secs to celebrate but rather that and get it right,the confererations cup it was useless as they looked at everything and the games were a shambles,also they had 3 on the VARS panel which is at least 1 too many,its the same as me watching it on sky and seeing what the officials don't see,within secs the ref gets it down his ear that was a red or a pen,the ref has the final decision,there can be abuse but i think it will get a lot right and we will benefit more than most,watch the palace cup game this weekend and see how it works then we can chat some more about it

edit-not this weekend but the palace carribo cup game

Last edited:
There’s no way it’s going on the big screens (imo).
I bet they’ve been trailing it in the background for ages and comparing their 30 second(?) joint decisions to those made on the pitch and subsequent ‘analysis’ by pundits(inc ex refs) and poss social/mainstream media.
I think it will be fun. It’ll cut out obvious mistakes and possibly provoke more controversy for important close calls.

Singing “who’s the bastard in the box!?”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.