VAR (PL introduction 2019)

There's a few changes to laws this year, some of them make sense, but I see a lot of confusion coming this year too :

These are lifted from Sky so the wording might be different,
Handball - If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger. However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

>>That's supposed to clarify? I think it will confuse tbh.. So many aspects to consider for the ref, I think we will get even more subjective decisions being taken and no one knowing what the rules are.

----
Subs - Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

>>About time they put a stop to that charade of going to the opposite side of the pitch

----
Goal Kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

>>This sounds like it means attackers will be able to intercept a goal kick? So surely they will hang around in the penalty area whilst the goal kick is taken? Is this law designed to stop teams playing out from the back or something? Why didnt they just make it so it is a foul if keeper doesnt pass it to a player outside the area?

----
Yellow cards - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

>>I am not sure about that first paragraph - I understand the concept that it is speeding play up but what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity? Is that a direct assist or playing the ball quickly down the wing for example which then creates a chance?

>>The 2nd paragraph sounds like a lottery. The ref blows his whistle because a last man has brought someone down - If a quick free kick is taken which results in nothing then the last man wont get a red! I cant see this making any difference to the game, attacking teams will tend to wait for the refs decision.

----
Drop Balls - If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

>>I dont think this will make any differences and it clarifies things.

Anyone got other interpretations of how the rule changes will affect things this year? I see more ref randomicity coming tbh.

'will usually not be punished'
There's a Grey area right there.

'unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons'
Grey area number 2

Goal Kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

But wasn't the problem that the defender touched the ball before it leaving the box?
It was never the opposition player.
I presume it means either player. Why not just state that?

'will usually not be punished'
There's a Grey area right there.

'unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons'
Grey area number 2

But wasn't the problem that the defender touched the ball before it leaving the box?
It was never the opposition player.
I presume it means either player. Why not just state that?

The second point - This is a cosmetic change rather than earth shattering. Refs don't add time on consistently, so it's unlikely to change. I think it is a very good idea to allow the ref to re-direct. Imagine an away player injuring a home player (or being involved in any other point of contention) and then having to walk 100 yards round the pitch - there is no point in forcing them into missile territory when it can be avoided.

Third point - I think this is clarification to make it obvious that taking a quick goal kick can have consequences.

----
Yellow cards - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

>>I am not sure about that first paragraph - I understand the concept that it is speeding play up but what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity? Is that a direct assist or playing the ball quickly down the wing for example which then creates a chance?

>>The 2nd paragraph sounds like a lottery. The ref blows his whistle because a last man has brought someone down - If a quick free kick is taken which results in nothing then the last man wont get a red! I cant see this making any difference to the game, attacking teams will tend to wait for the refs decision.

>>I dont think this will make any differences and it clarifies things.

Anyone got other interpretations of how the rule changes will affect things this year? I see more ref randomicity coming tbh.

I think that main thing is that these are Sky wordings, probably from briefings, and are unlikely to be the wording of the law (likely to be more specific, and not to use words like 'usually'). Do you have any indication where it's taken from?

There will be confusion as pundits continue to use outdated laws.

Yellow cards (1) - I read that to say that it allows leeway for the ref to let a quick play be made and still book the offender. Currently, I think the booking must happen then. Seems okay, and allows for quick thinking. It won't happen every time though, as refs will have to judge scoring changes just as they do for advantage now.

Yellow cards (2) - this one is new to me. I assume it's connected along the idea that if the chance is still there, then a goal-scoring opportunity hasn't been denied, and it's not a red card offence.

I've said it before and will say it again, VAR is a complete disaster and anti football, its also easily manipulated when it comes to interpretation, aside form offsides which are indisputable...! To be fair, it seemed to work well in the world cup but for some reason it has regressed to an almost unworkable level, how the fuck did that happen???

I've said it before and will say it again, VAR is a complete disaster and anti football, its also easily manipulated when it comes to interpretation, aside form offsides which are indisputable...! To be fair, it seemed to work well in the world cup but for some reason it has regressed to an almost unworkable level, how the fuck did that happen???
Otamendi penalty?

Even offsides can be potentially manipulated to some degree. Linesman flags for offside in one game, not allowing the play to develop and therefore the chance to score and later review is lost. In another game the flag stays down and if a goal is scored, it is then reviewed.

Even offsides can be potentially manipulated to some degree. Linesman flags for offside in one game, not allowing the play to develop and therefore the chance to score and later review is lost. In another game the flag stays down and if a goal is scored, it is then reviewed.
.....and the frame chosen for the ball leaving the boot can change the decision. Offside calls are not as 'factual' as some people make out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.