VAR (PL introduction 2019)

Not sure how you find them 'embarrasing' but referees have been getting things wrong since football was invented.
What we see in the modern era, and more so in the last couple of years, are tv companies focussing on the decisions made rather than the football. Sky love a good slo-mo and the clown that presents on bt is obsessed with wrong decisions to the point where the half time chat and clips focus solely on them and forget about the actual footy.
Watch nbcsn or foreign streams where half time is usually used to show actual highlights of the game. Very little is made refereeing decisions and there's never a few 'experts' blathering on about whether it should have been a throw in or foul.
At half-time they have that ref comment, the rest is adverts then game back on

There's a few changes to laws this year, some of them make sense, but I see a lot of confusion coming this year too :

These are lifted from Sky so the wording might be different,
Handball - If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger. However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

>>That's supposed to clarify? I think it will confuse tbh.. So many aspects to consider for the ref, I think we will get even more subjective decisions being taken and no one knowing what the rules are.

----
Subs - Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

>>About time they put a stop to that charade of going to the opposite side of the pitch

----
Goal Kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

>>This sounds like it means attackers will be able to intercept a goal kick? So surely they will hang around in the penalty area whilst the goal kick is taken? Is this law designed to stop teams playing out from the back or something? Why didnt they just make it so it is a foul if keeper doesnt pass it to a player outside the area?

----
Yellow cards - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

>>I am not sure about that first paragraph - I understand the concept that it is speeding play up but what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity? Is that a direct assist or playing the ball quickly down the wing for example which then creates a chance?

>>The 2nd paragraph sounds like a lottery. The ref blows his whistle because a last man has brought someone down - If a quick free kick is taken which results in nothing then the last man wont get a red! I cant see this making any difference to the game, attacking teams will tend to wait for the refs decision.

----
Drop Balls - If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

>>I dont think this will make any differences and it clarifies things.

Anyone got other interpretations of how the rule changes will affect things this year? I see more ref randomicity coming tbh.

VAR reviews next year in PL on goals scored from crosses or corners into the area are going to take sometime.

They will have to review potential blocks, holding etc on maybe x3 or 4 different sets of interactions between

defenders and attackers at near post, penalty spot and far post plus of course any potential infringement to the

goalkeeper. Imagine ball then dropping to the floor immediately after & then a quickfire shots & blocks involving

another x3 or 4 sets of players..this is where the possibility is for selective video analysis by the VAR team or by

the VAR team to selectively present video to the match referee. The Lloriente incident showed how the VAR team

can effectively decide how a match referee, can only interpret the incident based on angle presentations supplied.

The x2nd leg CL v Spurs, VAR Team can correctly determine Aguero offside by a 1or 2 cms
The x1st leg CL v Spurs, VAR Team cant determine Lloris encroached by x1.5 metres or so

Wait for first team to have defender sent off for x2nd yellow card when attacker kicks it at his arm in penalty area.
Ref could give yellow to attacker for unsporting action, however, reward is penalty and sending off, so good odds!

There will be no shortage still of questionable incidents/decisions for fans forums to adjudicate on..even with VAR

Take a look at the VAR penalty given in the USA v Chile game in the WWC.

An absolutely disgraceful decision.
Just seen that decision. Firstly it isn’t the VAR who gives the decision or so we are led to believe. VAR is only meant to alert the ref to an obvious and clear error. Looking at this one though there will be penalties given at every corner next season and based on this decision you don’t even have to be in the area. VAR is not fit for purpose as it currently stands unless of course various groups want to manipulate results

Goal Kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

>>This sounds like it means attackers will be able to intercept a goal kick? So surely they will hang around in the penalty area whilst the goal kick is taken? Is this law designed to stop teams playing out from the back or something? Why didnt they just make it so it is a foul if keeper doesnt pass it to a player outside the area?

I think this is good for us. Encourages teams to press even higher. As long as the passing from the back is accurate, we could cut through teams much higher and gain a lot of space in midfield areas. Also encourages more longer stuff from Ederson which benefits us too.

That said, I think you'll see it once early in the season and we'll go and score from it, and that will be that. See Ederson's assist for Aguero in the Huddersfield game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.