VAR (PL introduction 2019)

You never see an offside goal scored on a computer game like FIFA and the correct decision is instant. Couldn’t offside be controlled using similar technology to goal line technology? Surly all it takes is a GPS sensor in the ball each of the player’s boots? That has to be more accurate than expecting the linesman to spot if someone’s toe was offside the moment the ball was played.
The sensors could detect where the players are in relation to each other, but the real challenge would be detecting when the ball has been played.

But linesman were getting offside decisions right around 95% of the time without VAR. That's good enough for me as I accept some scope for error. It seems to me we're trying to fix something that isn't broken by including offside in the VAR process.

Last edited:
Every single time a goal is scored my first thought is to wonder if there's any reason for a VAR check.

That wonderful moment when your team score and the uncontrollable, overwhelming & indescribable emotion you feel will be gone :-(

We should get rid of linos aswell.
That moment when they flag after a goal is scored when it is offside after everyone’s celebrating. Sickening. Ruining football. Just let the goal stand so we can enjoy it !

Just not the same, and you know it.

Are you just being deliberately contrary?

The man handling VAR to detect mms on offside decisions is fucking awful, In the scenarios where the defender and attacker are moving in opposite directions at 3 metres per seconds (very conservative ball park figure, most sprints are between 5mps and 7mps https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4327365/)
that's 600cm a second. That's upto 24cm difference in positioning per frame at the 25fps they elected to use, even against a static defender and a forward running at half his fastest speed its upto 12cm difference per frame.
Yet even with the limitation of the technology in use and against the rules of basic physics we are suppose to acknowledge that the super powers of fifa, uefa, fa et al are able to precisely determine when the ball was played and decide which frame to draw a line on indicating someones big toe was 4mm ahead of the defenders arse?

For me they are trying to claim to be infallible and denying the limitations that distance = speed x time doesn't actually apply to football and present an artificial line on a screen that's been determined by opinion not fact as factual. The obvious tweak to make it workable reintroduce clear and obvious errors like the Liverpool west ham game and benefit of doubt to go with the attacking team. An opinion of someone being 4cm offside presented as fact with a margin of error of at least 12cms is plain stupid.

The rules and VAR are intrinsically linked.
Worse, the laws are even being changed to suit VAR.

Decades of law changes designed to provide more goals and entertainment which funnily enough has given the game its tv deals and revenue as the world wants to watch it and bang, lets try our best to rule out every single goal scored from now on.

Bonkers.
Correct.

The man handling VAR to detect mms on offside decisions is fucking awful, In the scenarios where the defender and attacker are moving in opposite directions at 3 metres per seconds (very conservative ball park figure, most sprints are between 5mps and 7mps https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4327365/)
that's 600cm a second. That's upto 24cm difference in positioning per frame at the 25fps they elected to use, even against a static defender and a forward running at half his fastest speed its upto 12cm difference per frame.
Yet even with the limitation of the technology in use and against the rules of basic physics we are suppose to acknowledge that the super powers of fifa, uefa, fa et al are able to precisely determine when the ball was played and decide which frame to draw a line on indicating someones big toe was 4mm ahead of the defenders arse?

For me they are trying to claim to be infallible and denying the limitations that distance = speed x time doesn't actually apply to football and present an artificial line on a screen that's been determined by opinion not fact as factual. The obvious tweak to make it workable reintroduce clear and obvious errors like the Liverpool west ham game and benefit of doubt to go with the attacking team. An opinion of someone being 4cm offside presented as fact with a margin of error of at least 12cms is plain stupid.
This is the bit most of those in favour don't seem to get.

I was in favour until I saw it in operation and realised its actually more likely to be wrong now, the human eye is very good, and its far better than the technology used by VAR, even if it occasionally gets things wrong. We thought it would eliminate errors and bias, but in reality it will increase both.

This is the bit most of those in favour don't seem to get.

I was in favour until I saw it in operation and realised its actually more likely to be wrong now, the human eye is very good, and its far better than the technology used by VAR, even if it occasionally gets things wrong. We thought it would eliminate errors and bias, but in reality it will increase both.

I was in favour, and whilst they have butchered many aspects its the offside rulings that go against basic science and yet are presented as fact that have pissed me off the most.

Absolutely spot on. And this is just the reason that a simple change to the offside law that if ANY PART of the attacker is level then he is ONSIDE. It makes it easier for all to see and hopefully means more goals and hence more entertainment which after all is why we love the game so much anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.