VAR Thread - 2021/22

I often get the feeling VAR is trying to get goals disallowed for whatever happens in the build up to a goal. If the ref gives a goal, 11 players celebrate and the other 11 players on the conceding side don’t protest or show signs they accepted the goal, there’s the VAR searching up until the moment he cries: “ Hold on …. “.

Has a ref ever been told to look at the screen and then stuck to his original decision? Seems like whenever the VAR official puts a question mark over a decision, the ref always ends up changing his decision.

It's clear to me that decisions can't be defined. One man's handball is not another's. Offside isn't the same for everybody. A foul can be viewed MANY different ways.

Currently we have 6 or 7 (in VAR) people trying to apply rules that can't be definitive for everyone, the best they can hope for is to match the majority viewpoint on that incident.

What I would like to see (because these things are not definitive) is ONE person, the ref, making those judgements, with the help of video replays. But please no more random people in the VAR control room making judgements because everyone has a different take on any event and all we end up with is randomnicity.
The IFAB guidance says Refs should have final decision. Our implementation gives VAR more control than that. I agree, VAR was trailed as a tool to help refs make better decisions but now it is decision making by committee

As long as there is secrecy who is the match commander, why isnt the ref mind up etc etc there will be suspicion and allegations.
Any sensible organisation would do everything they could to show it is above board. The fact that the premier league don't says a hell of a lot.
Oz mike it up, and its great

Sky Sports shamelessly presents PGMOL's Premier League production of "OliVAR and Company: The Manchester Derby", live Sunday 4.30pm.

Story has been beautifully written and Mikey Mike is primed to enter stage left as he always loves to do.

Pep needs to call out Riley for apologising for a correct decision and frame it that any decision given in the Rags favour on Sunday is manipulated to "even the score" and won't be legitimate, just pile the pressure back on the crew by calling it out beforehand.

Riley apologising for a correct decision ??
fuck me both liverpool games at anfield vs city when clearly 2 handballs was not given did we get Riley apologising ?

this is NOW a very big issue for manchester city because they will be trying to right a wrong sooner rather than later
in a city game ? we have to take this news and really start to punish teams and kill them off as quickly as possible and take the officials out of the game.

As an apology has been given it surely proves what we have all (most) been saying all along.

VAR is a waste of fucking time. It does more damage than it does good. Bin it off

That Rodri handball seems like a clear cut handball in isolation. If Richarlison was offside in the build-up then that should negate the handball and therefore the right call in the end.

I haven't seen the incident back though, so with the offside thing, I'm only going by what has been said in here. If Richarlison was offside, the handball is null and void. If he wasn't offside, it should have been a pen to Everton.

That seems reasonable. Whether the contact was handball or not divides opinion, but the on-field decision would stand (in isolation). If Tierney had given a penalty, I'd not have complained.

Richarlison being offside - nobody knows. It wasn't reviewed with any public demonstration with lines on the pitch, but was certainly close. If he had been offside then yes, the handball or not becomes irrelevant, but the VAR rules are "look for the penalty - yes/no; if 'yes', then look to see if anything negates it". VAR didn't change the on-field decision, and so didn't look at Richarlison being on-or offside.

The offside freekick that stopped and then restarted play was clearly for the next part of play with a wide man. The freekick was taken near the touchline, and not within about 10 yards of Richarlison.

One theory is that the handball T-shirt rule states what happens above the line, and what happens below the line, but not what happens if it hits the line and therefore covers both sides.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.