VAR Thread - 2021/22

That's the worst one for me as that was blatant match fixing. All the other examples were arguably wrong but as they're subjective decisions they come under the whole "clear and obvious" smoke screen.
The Sterling offside showed that somebody used the wrong frame to create a fake offside situation, ruling out a perfectly good goal. If that goal had stood we would be 4 points clear of Liverpool with 5 games to go rather than 1 point clear.
The worrying thing is that this decision hasn't been mentioned anywhere in the press, surely this is the perfect example to use when looking at whether the new VAR offside rules are working or not.
We don't even know who makes the decision of when to freeze the footage to work out the offside, is it the VAR official? The Match Commander we've heard rumours about? Somebody at Sky/BT? A technician at the ground employed by someone else entirely? A PGMOL technician maybe?

If that had happened the other way round in the same game and Mane scored for it to be ruled out there would be a a national inquest into it. There was hardly mention of it during the game and they seem more interested in looking for a handball off Laporte at the other end when it clearly went off his thigh. The language Liverpool have used when they have had decisions go against them has been shocking in demanding they should get decisions . It’s probably why they’ve had the decisions go with them in the past few weeks.

City will need to be near perfect to retain the title, they did it in 2019 without VAR giving the dippers extra assistance, Pep will have to go one better this season.

The PL said it was inaccurate. However, some people would prefer to believe the Sun despite not 1 other paper going with this "news"
And we are to take the PL at face value here?

The same PL that refuse to allow any levels of scrutiny on a process which is largely transparent in most other sports?

And we are to take the PL at face value here?

The same PL that refuse to allow any levels of scrutiny on a process which is largely transparent in most other sports?
I shan't trust anything the PL come out with, the systems they use, the people they employ until the day dawns when football has the same arrangements in place that other sports have enjoyed for years. I've watched rugby and cricket on the telly and I am more than convinced that when a contentious or difficult decision is arrived at the officials have got it right, and explanations fit hand in glove with what has appeared on the screen. The reason we don't have it is something which, I think, the PL have yet to explain.

I think we can all agree that until VAR is more transparent, until we can hear what the refs are saying as we can in cricket and rugby and until the freeze frame technology which is available is actually used then the system as it is currently being used is being manipulated. Germany appear happy to allow Munich to win 10 in a row, Italy to allow Juventus nine in a row, France to allow PSG to win it nine times in the last 12 etc. Why does it only appear that in the UK there is a problem nowadays if one team dominates. There is no doubt in my mind that the game is corrupt, Pep knows it as do the players and that is why he keeps saying that what we win we do so with no help, all by ourselves. Why has nobody ever asked what Scudamore meant when he said the following:

"Without being disrespectful to any club, we have a strategic plan at the Premier League and the strategic plan says putting a new name on the trophy in every six-year period."

What is also telling was this quote from 2014 by him when talking about the rags:

"When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."

Bent, corrupt, fixed, call it what you may but when we win the league this time there will be plenty of disappointed people around the world.

I shan't trust anything the PL come out with, the systems they use, the people they employ until the day dawns when football has the same arrangements in place that other sports have enjoyed for years. I've watched rugby and cricket on the telly and I am more than convinced that when a contentious or difficult decision is arrived at the officials have got it right, and explanations fit hand in glove with what has appeared on the screen. The reason we don't have it is something which, I think, the PL have yet to explain.
The only thing I can think of is swearing/bad language. Easily sorted though - yellow cards and reds for the offenders. Robertson howls abuse at linespeople all the time and ref's let him get away with it. Needs clamping down on and would only take a couple of weeks of zero tolerance or, if we want to avoid a proliferation of cards, offenders being taken to their captain and being expressly warned that if there's any more it will be a card/red.

The only thing I can think of is swearing/bad language. Easily sorted though - yellow cards and reds for the offenders. Robertson howls abuse at linespeople all the time and ref's let him get away with it. Needs clamping down on and would only take a couple of weeks of zero tolerance or, if we want to avoid a proliferation of cards, offenders being taken to their captain and being expressly warned that if there's any more it will be a card/red.
Simple way to deal with it is just tell the players that anyone heard swearing on TV will be required to pay the fines that the broadcaster is subject to for any breach of their broadcast licence conditions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.