VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were two potential infringements in the build up to the goal. In my view, the first foul should not have led to the goal being disallowed, because Taylor said he wouldn't penalise this type of foul, and he refereed the game in that manner.

The second infringement was kicking the ball whilst Allison had it under control. This didn't fall within Taylor's edict of leniency.

I think the goal was disallowed for the foul though, which was a poor decision in my opinion.
Which is perfectly rational. I can see why you say that and will back your viewpoint up.

I can also see why it was disallowed as both “fouls” were 50/50.

If VAR hadn’t been in operation, can we, in certainty, say that Taylor wouldn’t have refereed the game differently?

Was that taken Io, or on a Samsung potato?

That certainly clears everything up.
The still is from the poor quality video @BlueHammer85 posted (being circulated by Liverpool supporters) showing only one angle of the incident (as opposed to the other much better quality video showing many different angles) that that you apparently believe puts the matter “to bed”.

So which is it then?

I am not sure you even know. You are just being contrary for the sake of it, as you seemingly are in so many threads across various topics these days.

Careful, you’ll have some bloke called Sebastian on your back

Thoughts outside groupthink are not allowed these days.
It's just how I viewed the incidents having rewatched several times. Thought our goal was fine in real time but actually held off celebrating as I've unfortunately found myself doing too often recently as I knew there were a couple of things that would be looked at. Haaland on the keeper being the more obvious of the two in my mind.
I'm not interested in a spat with Sebastian. I like him as a poster but can only go off how I viewed those particular moments in the game.

It's just how I viewed the incidents having rewatched several times. Thought our goal was fine in real time but actually held off celebrating as I've unfortunately found myself doing too often recently as I knew there were a couple of things that would be looked at. Haaland on the keeper being the more obvious of the two in my mind.
I'm not interested in a spat with Sebastian. I like him as a poster but can only go off how I viewed those particular moments in the game.
Indeed, me too. it’s obvious why the goal was disallowed, having seen the replays.

Similarly with the “handball”.

Creating excuses for why we lost is far more tiresome for me than looking at Pep and the demand not to do anything creative.

Haaland unfortunately fouled on both occasions leading to Phils disallowed goal and I don't think Salah handballed it.
Fuck it, its done and dusted, we gather ourselves and get ready for the next game.
Saying Haaland fouled the dip is ignoring everything else.
Pep has stated Taylor said he would be letting minor fouls go. Right up to Phils goal he did. Either he was ordered to change his mind or he is very weak minded and reversed his manager briefing. Which ever it is and we should be told, but won't be, it is wrong.
Time and time again we are on the shitty end of an Anfield Var decision. That is Peps belief also judging by his comments. It needs calling out.

I am putting this loss (our first of the season no less) firmly at the feet of Pep.

Say what you want about Joao’s mistake—and there is quite a lot to be said—but it should have never been 0-0 by that point in the first place.

The system was wrong, the tactics were wrong, and the sub (1 of 5) were wrong. Our lads generally didn’t play that well, to be sure, but I think a large part of that was down to the formation and tactics: Kev was wasted on the RW, Ilkay was unnecessary, if not actually a hinderance with his instructions, Phil seemingly being told to retain possession at all costs rather than test Milner.

Pep is a genius, and I wouldn’t swap him for any other manager in the world, but he got this one wrong.

Referencing this opening post above from the Liverpool Post-Match Thread so others understand I believe we ultimately lost because of mistakes from Pep (and Cancelo, unfortunately) and not because of VAR.

But I am also choosing to use the thread created to debate VAR… to, err, debate the consistency and correctness of the VAR decisions (or indecisions) in the match. I have also only questioned the potential handball on Salah’s goal and offered evidence of Thiago getting away with quite a lot during the match (which I am sure some could argue our players did, as well).

I agree that the decision to disallow Foden’s goal was technically correct, though, I think it is perfectly reasonable to question why so many similar challenges were let go during the match but Haalands’ were not (something Pep and the players themselves have questioned).

I feel as though I need to post this as my character (and apparently intelligence) are being attacked in a wholly dishonest way.

Pep has stated Taylor said he would be letting minor fouls go. Right up to Phils goal he did. Either he was ordered to change his mind or he is very weak minded and reversed his manager briefing. Which ever it is and we should be told, but won't be, it is wrong.
Time and time again we are on the shitty end of an Anfield Var decision. That is Peps belief also judging by his comments. It needs calling out.
It's ignoring nothing. It's what took place. Those fouls happened regardless of what was said or wasn't said beforehand. It pissed me off no end and if VAR was fucked off tomorrow I'd fel like we were on the way to getting the game I fell in love with back.
It ain't going anywhere though so we are stuck with this current shit show and this thread will continue to grow after every weekend of yet more contentious decisions.
Haven't got the time nor inclination to get dragged into it anymore so bar calling @BlueHammer85 a **** every now and then I'll bow out.

Nobody knows exactly what Taylor said before the game. Guardiola himself probably doesn’t know exactly, as he said Taylor said it to one of his assistants, which seems a bit odd. But I’m not suggesting he’s making the whole thing up. What I highly doubt he said was “I’ll be letting minor fouls go” No experienced referee is going to put himself in a position where he has admitted he’s going to allow foul play. Much more likely that he said something along the lines of…I’ll try and let the game flow as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.