VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time to show what the law actually says. As I alluded to, I was arguing with a dipper who was completely misapplying one of the laws and attempting to reason with things that the video replays do not corroborate(I think Stephen is doing the same). Cancelo very nearly got shoulder on shoulder, so they were clearly closer to being side by side than one player behind the other, which is all that matters(not an exact science here). It was the Fulham attacker who leaned in front of Cancelo which stopped the shoulder on shoulder from happening(not saying he can't do this, it's just some people aren't seeing it correctly/blagging it) and it was also the Fulham attacker who changed the angle of his run more(twice) before the contact came.

From my post in the Cancelo thread:

There's no doubt it was an honest challenge gone wrong for me and most probably anyone with a decent amount of objectivity. He had the right to challenge but he ended up fouling him, no different from attempting a sliding tackle and getting that wrong in my view. What is fair to say is, Cancelo overestimates things a lot, I don't know if it's Pep asking him to be brave or just him. I'd rather he play those situations safer. If you're central and the risk of conceding a pen is high, just let them take the shot. It's really not worth it in that position.

The most frustrating thing, is when people argue against all of the above, as if you haven't said multiple times that the the letter of the law was applied correctly, which isn't the issue. It's like they are pretentiously saying : "No you can't have that opinion, you have to say you're happy with it"

It would be simpler to go back to, it's always a red for DOGSO but I don't want that either, the less soft reds the better. I'd really rather just have a pen given given every time, unless it's a dangerous tackle but I suppose decisions like these even things out for the smaller teams(dream decisions for them).

I’m just glad the… Sniff, sniff has gone and my cover hasn’t been blown.

I checked your post history and gave you the benefit of the doubt. Not sure it needed a response since it was gone before you replied but there we go.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt mate. Means a lot.

If the TV channels didn't do constant reruns of incidents they want to highlight, we wouldn't need Var.
It is here because Sky and the rest have belittled refs for their own ends. Even if Var stopped drawing lines Sky would continue.
Var wasn't around when Sky hounded Vinny, Sergio and the rest. They are destroying 'the product'.

If the TV channels didn't do constant reruns of incidents they want to highlight, we wouldn't need Var.
It is here because Sky and the rest have belittled refs for their own ends. Even if Var stopped drawing lines Sky would continue.
Var wasn't around when Sky hounded Vinny, Sergio and the rest. They are destroying 'the product'.
I didnt get that. Explain more.

I didnt get that. Explain more.
Before Var was introduced Sky highlighted instances where the ref was allegedly wrong. Offsides, penalties (given or not given) being the obvious ones. They set about ridiculing referees and belittling them. One reason Var was introduced was to try and help the ref and stop the constant attacks by Sky.
If we scrap Var tomorrow we would still have Sky drawing their own lines belittling the refs/linesmen. Spitty and Neville would still slag the ref for not giving a penalty and the armchair fans will lap up the entertainment.
I am not a Var lover but to me the enemy is sky/bt. They are the ones destroying the game.

Before Var was introduced Sky highlighted instances where the ref was allegedly wrong. Offsides, penalties (given or not given) being the obvious ones. They set about ridiculing referees and belittling them. One reason Var was introduced was to try and help the ref and stop the constant attacks by Sky.
If we scrap Var tomorrow we would still have Sky drawing their own lines belittling the refs/linesmen. Spitty and Neville would still slag the ref for not giving a penalty and the armchair fans will lap up the entertainment.
I am not a Var lover but to me the enemy is sky/bt. They are the ones destroying the game.
Good point. A bit more respect would go a long way. So many problems we have are down to that simple fact.

In fact something I heard on one of the podcasts (that actually have more knowledge than some of our so called tv football pundits) was that at lower league levels (below County level) sin bins are used across the board for dissent. You swear, your off for ten minutes.

Now imagine that in the PL. Every single manager will be ordering his players to behave (have some respect) for fear of losing them for ten minutes.

I'm converted tbh, I think they do have a place, even if it is temporary to stem this tide of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.