VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. A bit more respect would go a long way. So many problems we have are down to that simple fact.

People bang on about how refereeing is at an all time low. Fact is, before Sky started analysing every decision to within an inch of its life, we actually had no idea about the standard of refereeing in general. Who knows how many goals should have been given offside or disallowed goals should have stood? Even in tournaments like the World Cup where all the games were televised, I don’t recall any great debates about decisions, unless they were extraordinarily ones like when Clive Thomas blew for full time about 0.01 of a second before the ball crossed the line. It just seemed to be accepted that the referee won’t get everything right but let’s just crack on and talk about the game, not borderline decisions.

In fact something I heard on one of the podcasts (that actually have more knowledge than some of our so called tv football pundits) was that at lower league levels (below County level) sin bins are used across the board for dissent. You swear, your off for ten minutes.

Now imagine that in the PL. Every single manager will be ordering his players to behave (have some respect) for fear of losing them for ten minutes.

I'm converted tbh, I think they do have a place, even if it is temporary to stem this tide of shit.
Something has to change. A worldwide audience watched Vardy tell the ref to fuck off and give him the V. Nothing was done because it would spoil 'the product'. A sin bin or simply tell the refs to book/send players off BUT with the full backing, no matter what, of the PL and FA. might help sort it out.

People bang on about how refereeing is at an all time low. Fact is, before Sky started analysing every decision to within an inch of its life, we actually had no idea about the standard of refereeing in general. Who knows how many goals should have been given offside or disallowed goals should have stood? Even in tournaments like the World Cup where all the games were televised, I don’t recall any great debates about decisions, unless they were extraordinarily ones like when Clive Thomas blew for full time about 0.01 of a second before the ball crossed the line. It just seemed to be accepted that the referee won’t get everything right but let’s just crack on and talk about the game, not borderline decisions.
This!!!

I believe the standard of officials at the big two tournaments is light years ahead the officious and aloof Mike Riley and his PGMOL. The 2018 World Cup used VAR brilliantly and unlike now they were not looking for any excuse to rule out goals for mm offsides or other reasons.

Before Var was introduced Sky highlighted instances where the ref was allegedly wrong. Offsides, penalties (given or not given) being the obvious ones. They set about ridiculing referees and belittling them. One reason Var was introduced was to try and help the ref and stop the constant attacks by Sky.
If we scrap Var tomorrow we would still have Sky drawing their own lines belittling the refs/linesmen. Spitty and Neville would still slag the ref for not giving a penalty and the armchair fans will lap up the entertainment.
I am not a Var lover but to me the enemy is sky/bt. They are the ones destroying the game.

Good point/post

But fans also do the same

Good point/post

But fans also do the same
I guess it begs the question:

Given that football will never not have the minutia of decisions looked at as closely as is technologically possible, how do we best use this technology to enhance the experience of supporters actually at the match?

I guess it begs the question:

Given that football will never not have the minutia of decisions looked at as closely as is technologically possible, how do we best use this technology to enhance the experience of supporters actually at the match?

It might be the question you would like to be asked but I highly doubt it’s particularly high on anybody in a position of authority’s agenda.

They may have patronised us with the…. Football is nothing without fans, tagline during lockdown. But all evidence points towards us been nothing more than a necessary inconvenience.

It might be the question you would like to be asked but I highly doubt it’s particularly high on anybody in a position of authority’s agenda.

They may have patronised us with the…. Football is nothing without fans, tagline during lockdown. But all evidence points towards us been nothing more than a necessary inconvenience.
Maybe so, but there are whispers about releasing audio, albeit after the match to begin with, but it’s a start.

Autonomous offsides are coming in and can be shown on the big screens in the stadia.

Both of these things would benefit the crowd in stadia as well as on tv.

There will likely be more technological advances and clarification of rules under the microscope.

Maybe so, but there are whispers about releasing audio, albeit after the match to begin with, but it’s a start.

Autonomous offsides are coming in and can be shown on the big screens in the stadia.

Both of these things would benefit the crowd in stadia as well as on tv.

There will likely be more technological advances and clarification of rules under the microscope.

Yes, I’ve mentioned it before. It’s Howard Webb’s initiative. He’s currently using it in America. Plenty of clips of it on YouTube available. From what I’ve seen it’s mildly interesting but not particularly revealing. He’s said to be keen to trial it here when he becomes the chief refereeing officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.