VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This!!!

I believe the standard of officials at the big two tournaments is light years ahead the officious and aloof Mike Riley and his PGMOL. The 2018 World Cup used VAR brilliantly and unlike now they were not looking for any excuse to rule out goals for mm offsides or other reasons.
The 2018 world cup was the first with VAR. England hugely benefitted as we got a few penalties for what would now be viewed as innocuous shirt pulls in the box.

Yes, I’ve mentioned it before. It’s Howard Webb’s initiative. He’s currently using it in America. Plenty of clips of it on YouTube available. From what I’ve seen it’s mildly interesting but not particularly revealing. He’s said to be keen to trial it here when he becomes the chief refereeing officer.
So they obviously are looking and are open to tweaking the system.

If we heard the conversations, it’d put some of the conspiracy theories to bed, at least.

It'll never not be a talking point though. Tribal fandom allows judgement to be clouded and whataboutism becomes their main debating point.

Some people can’t understand 3D lines in a 2D photo; others can’t see a difference between Cancelo and TAA’s challenges.

Think the Carabao games without VAR were really refreshing. Officials doing to their jobs instead of expecting VAR to do it for them. Sure there must of been some dodgy decisions, but I haven't seen any wholesale uproar about anything. Unlike every week, where VAR is concerned.

If we heard the conversations, it’d put some of the conspiracy theories to bed, at least.

Bit optimistic. I know of people who think the whole English game is rigged to help Liverpool and simultaneously have just fixed the League Cup draw to give them the hardest possible draw.

So they obviously are looking and are open to tweaking the system.

I reckon it will create more mistrust- social media will forensically analyse every transcript and word said by the officials and find a way to turn it into a conspiracy

I reckon it will create more mistrust- social media will forensically analyse every transcript and word said by the officials and find a way to turn it into a conspiracy

You would say that.

;)

Edit: seriously, though, I don't see how it will cause distrust. It won't make everyone happy for every decision, of course, but increased transparency has to be a good thing. It will at least show to people that referees do know the laws and guidelines better than anyone else. Hopefully.

Bit optimistic. I know of people who think the whole English game is rigged to help Liverpool and simultaneously have just fixed the League Cup draw to give them the hardest possible draw.

I hope you don't fall off that high horse, you could hurt yourself.

Of course, but those people will never be satisfied.

If City won every game in a season, they’d still say it was in spite of corruption etc.

Think the Carabao games without VAR were really refreshing. Officials doing to their jobs instead of expecting VAR to do it for them. Sure there must of been some dodgy decisions, but I haven't seen any wholesale uproar about anything. Unlike every week, where VAR is concerned.
I'll agree.

There was an offside in our game where the flag went up immediately. If VAR was used, the flag goes up much later (e.g. player touches ball when offside). VAR has interfered with the rules and that is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.