VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was an element of evening it up aswell on that one wasn’t there? Hadn’t we been given a soft one earlier?
That’s right, Otamendi was held by Shawcross I think. At the time though this was a ‘new’ directive to clamp down on shirt pulling and holding by defenders in the box against attackers at set pieces. I think it lasted one game (ours) then back to what it was before (you win some you lose some).

They say there isn't one.

Which is quite clearly bollocks, imo.
Heh, yeah. Thought this was interesting though
(https://www.fifa.com/technical/foot...ld-cup-2022/semi-automated-offside-technology)

How is information from the ball used in offside decisions?

In very tight offside situations, where the offside decision is different between two frames, the video match officials will check the exact first touch of the moment the ball was played by using the inertial measurement unit data from the sensor inside the ball and then select the correct frame of the footage based on the kick point.

We've seen this as one of the big issues with current VAR, so this looks like a positive development.

Heh, yeah. Thought this was interesting though
(https://www.fifa.com/technical/foot...ld-cup-2022/semi-automated-offside-technology)

How is information from the ball used in offside decisions?

In very tight offside situations, where the offside decision is different between two frames, the video match officials will check the exact first touch of the moment the ball was played by using the inertial measurement unit data from the sensor inside the ball and then select the correct frame of the footage based on the kick point.

We've seen this as one of the big issues with current VAR, so this looks like a positive development.

Yep, that's much better, although I would give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker where there is doubt. But that it just me. Collina is very much in the "on or off and the technology is infallible" camp.

Last edited:
Agree - if right or wrong, it it is given automatically and takes the officials out of the chance to make the decision.

How much time is wasted by the officials and VAR at present.

Similarly if the time wasting by teams is also added on properly, as seems to be the case in this WC , that can only be a good thing.

Seeing teams/ goalkeepers wasting time in City games, and then virtually no time added on is so frustrating. If the time was added on properly it might stop some of the blatant time wasting we see regularly in our games.
It's going well isn't it. No human intervention, no judgement, just let the computer decide.

I do hope were going to use it in the PL.

It's going well isn't it. No human intervention, no judgement, just let the computer decide.

I do hope were going to use it in the PL.

The first obvious error for me with the Portugal penalty. The VAR shouldn’t be referring that back to the referee after he’s given no penalty on the field. It clearly falls within the guidelines of a non penalty. The referee can’t escape criticism for not sticking with his original call but from a VAR perspective it’s a bad call asking the referee to reconsider.

The first obvious error for me with the Portugal penalty. The VAR shouldn’t be referring that back to the referee after he’s given no penalty on the field. It clearly falls within the guidelines of a non penalty. The referee can’t escape criticism for not sticking with his original call but from a VAR perspective it’s a bad call asking the referee to reconsider.
That would be human intervention haha. If they could get an automated var decisions on handball I would be amazed.

For me though that was handball, or at least an indirect free kick for accidental handball.

That would be human intervention haha. If they could get an automated var decisions on handball I would be amazed.

For me though that was handball, or at least an indirect free kick for accidental handball.

There is no such thing as an indirect free kick for handball. Whether you’d like to think it should be handball or not isn’t really relevant to the laws of the game as they stand, which specifically describe this exact situation as an example of a non handball. I’ve posted this in another thread but will put it here aswell. It’s from the video version of the official laws of the game, with live examples.

5bff78281bf8205a857a184ed2fedc62.jpg

9163483f65d352beed4f05ec50964064.jpg

There is no such thing as an indirect free kick for handball. Whether you’d like to think it should be handball or not isn’t really relevant to the laws of the game as they stand, which specifically describe this exact situation as an example of a non handball. I’ve posted this in another thread but will put it here aswell. It’s from the video version of the official laws of the game, with live examples.

5bff78281bf8205a857a184ed2fedc62.jpg

9163483f65d352beed4f05ec50964064.jpg
It will be used for support, but wasn’t at the time of contact, which is why I reckon the penalty has been given.

Silly, but probably true.

It will be used for support, but wasn’t at the time of contact, which is why I reckon the penalty has been given.

Silly, but probably true.

In the example shown his arm isn’t actually on the ground. It does add…When falling or getting up from the ground, which I think covers the Portugal incident pretty unambiguously.

Colour me confused, no wait, colour me absolutely fucking baffled

VAR was sold to the masses on the basis it was there to correct "clear and obvious errors".
Post introduction, this was amended to "clear and obvious errors except for offside which is factual and not open to interpretation"
After todays 98th minute debacle in the Tunisia v France game, I'm once again confused as to what the remit of VAR is with regards offside.
If VAR decided it's offside, then why is the referee asked to review the decision on the telly? By their own rules of implementation it is either offside or it's not.

I was a VAR fan originally, I thought it would reduce the "variation" in decisions we see week in and week out. Instead it has created far more controversy than it has resolved, and today i finally moved into the fuck it off camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.