VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only not seen it, I’d never heard of it until 30 seconds ago. Although having just Googled it I’m getting vibes of ‘Weird Science’ with Kelly LeBrock, which I most certainly did watch in the 80s. Numerous times.
Short circuit is one of the better dark thrillers written about the dangers, both philosophical and real, created by the desire to replace a human workforce with artificial intelligence by corporate America.

According to the ESPN VAR expert, who is reviewing every VAR incident in the tournament, he reckons the difference probably was that Maguire also had his arms on the defender and also that he wasn’t in a position to challenge for the ball. Although he was critical of the one given and said the infringement wasn’t major enough to justify the clear and obvious error guideline, in his opinion.
I thought that when I saw an image of the incident, but when you see the incident in full, it is clear that Maguire was going for the ball and was impeded. His arm went around the defender simply because of momentum. It wasn't a deliberate foul by Maguire. Certainly not a 50/50 incident.

Last edited:
Got to say I like the idea of the auto VAR on offsides. I am right in saying they're doing that in this wc yes?

It takes out the judgement element. Its a machine making the call, wrong or right we all stand by the judgement of technology. Might be the best thing since sliced bread.

Got to say I like the idea of the auto VAR on offsides. I am right in saying they're doing that in this wc yes?

It takes out the judgement element. Its a machine making the call, wrong or right we all stand by the judgement of technology. Might be the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes semi-automated offside is what they're doing at the World Cup.

Some subjected calls are still to be made:
- When was the pass made.
- Was the ball deflected deliberately by a defender resetting play.
I'm sure there's a couple of examples I'm forgetting as well.

These subjective calls will still slow it down slightly but it shouldn't be as bad as it has been in the past.

The majority of the time though it's a straight forward pass and run, so from what I gather, as soon as the referee inputs when the ball was played, the technology knows immediately if it was offside or not. It draws the lines faster.

Agree - if right or wrong, it it is given automatically and takes the officials out of the chance to make the decision.

How much time is wasted by the officials and VAR at present.

Similarly if the time wasting by teams is also added on properly, as seems to be the case in this WC , that can only be a good thing.

Seeing teams/ goalkeepers wasting time in City games, and then virtually no time added on is so frustrating. If the time was added on properly it might stop some of the blatant time wasting we see regularly in our games.

According to the ESPN VAR expert, who is reviewing every VAR incident in the tournament, he reckons the difference probably was that Maguire also had his arms on the defender and also that he wasn’t in a position to challenge for the ball. Although he was critical of the one given and said the infringement wasn’t major enough to justify the clear and obvious error guideline, in his opinion.
Not very expert in my view. Maguire wasn't in a position to challenge for the ball because he was on the floor, due to the foul.

Regarding the foul by Stones, it was a foul, so a penalty was the correct decision. I'm not sure when this "not enough of a foul" crept in to modern football. A foul is a foul. The way to stop shirt pulling in the area is to penalise it every time.

Not very expert in my view. Maguire wasn't in a position to challenge for the ball because he was on the floor, due to the foul.

Regarding the foul by Stones, it was a foul, so a penalty was the correct decision. I'm not sure when this "not enough of a foul" crept in to modern football. A foul is a foul. The way to stop shirt pulling in the area is to penalise it every time.
And also the shoves in the backs by the Dippers in the penalty area when players are going through on goal

Yes semi-automated offside is what they're doing at the World Cup.

Some subjected calls are still to be made:
- When was the pass made.
- Was the ball deflected deliberately by a defender resetting play.
I'm sure there's a couple of examples I'm forgetting as well.

These subjective calls will still slow it down slightly but it shouldn't be as bad as it has been in the past.

The majority of the time though it's a straight forward pass and run, so from what I gather, as soon as the referee inputs when the ball was played, the technology knows immediately if it was offside or not. It draws the lines faster.
I thought the 'when the pass was made' decision is automated by an accelerometer transmitter in the ball?

It hasn’t crept in. In fact I’d say it’s creeping out if anything. There probably hasn’t been a game of football played in the last 50 years where you couldn’t find a foul at a corner if you looked hard enough. At least now they know they’re taking a chance. Until recently it was virtually unheard of to get penalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.