VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farcical scenes at the end of the France, Tunisia game which I’ve only just caught up with. It seems the referee blew for Tunisia to kick off and then in the next breath immediately blew for full time. That would make a VAR review out of the question. Either way it’s a fuck up in communication because if he was aware a VAR review was impending he shouldn’t have blown for either a restart or full time. I reckon he will probably claim he was just blowing for full time and not a restart.

France are apparently confident that FIFA will adjust the final score to 1-1 after a hearing in the morning. That’s highly unlikely though, as the laws of the game specifically state that a match result will not be invalidated in the case of incorrect use of VAR protocol. Either way, don’t expect to see any of the officials involved again in the tournament.

Thank Christ it doesn’t actually make any difference to the group standings, or they’d be some shit going down.
The referee blowing for full time does not stop a var review. Remember when the rags benefitted from a var review, (they got a penalty) after the ref had blown for full time. We are told every goal is reviewed so surely the ref has to wait for the var man to indicate it is ok to proceed. In this case it seems var and the the ref were so inept, they failed to talk to each other.
This stupidity is why people believe in corruption. How much money was on a 1-0 or a 1-1 result ? If you cannot remember the procedures to follow you are not fit to run the game, either as the ref or as var.
It is such a fucked up system it should be scrapped.

The referee blowing for full time does not stop a var review. Remember when the rags benefitted from a var review, (they got a penalty) after the ref had blown for full time. We are told every goal is reviewed so surely the ref has to wait for the var man to indicate it is ok to proceed. In this case it seems var and the the ref were so inept, they failed to talk to each other.
This stupidity is why people believe in corruption. How much money was on a 1-0 or a 1-1 result ? If you cannot remember the procedures to follow you are not fit to run the game, either as the ref or as var.
Blowing to kick-off, then full time, does though.

They were okay with it, then got an intervention.

Blowing for full time doesn’t prevent a VAR review but play restarting after a goal being scored does. Which is what France are claiming happened here.

Last edited:
Blowing for full time doesn’t prevent a VAR review but play restarting after a goal being scored does. Which is what France are claiming happened here.
OK apologies for my ignorance. It was a monumental break down in communications and highlights, to me, why it is a joke.

Farcical scenes at the end of the France, Tunisia game which I’ve only just caught up with. It seems the referee blew for Tunisia to kick off and then in the next breath immediately blew for full time. That would make a VAR review out of the question. Either way it’s a fuck up in communication because if he was aware a VAR review was impending he shouldn’t have blown for either a restart or full time. I reckon he will probably claim he was just blowing for full time and not a restart.

France are apparently confident that FIFA will adjust the final score to 1-1 after a hearing in the morning. That’s highly unlikely though, as the laws of the game specifically state that a match result will not be invalidated in the case of incorrect use of VAR protocol. Either way, don’t expect to see any of the officials involved again in the tournament.

Thank Christ it doesn’t actually make any difference to the group standings, or they’d be some shit going down.
You really are taking this world cup thing really seriously aren't you.

Why? Just trying to justify it in my poor little head ....

If they can review an incident after all the players have left the field, which to me seems a pretty terminal event in terms of closing off a match, and can let play go on for two or three minutes while they review a penalty incident, why can't they call back a kick-off after an illegal goal? If the intention is to get decisions right, at all costs almost, why not in this situation?

If they can review an incident after all the players have left the field, which to me seems a pretty terminal event in terms of closing off a match, and can let play go on for two or three minutes while they review a penalty incident, why can't they call back a kick-off after an illegal goal? If the intention is to get decisions right, at all costs almost, why not in this situation?
Or, very left field this. The ref says 'any problems with that or can I award it'
Dickwad replies either 'nah, all good' or 'just let me check before you re-start/end the game. The fact that two supposedly highly trained, top of their profession, refs, cannot do that is beyond brown envelopes ergh I mean belief.

Or, very left field this. The ref says 'any problems with that or can I award it'
Dickwad replies either 'nah, all good' or 'just let me check before you re-start/end the game. The fact that two supposedly highly trained, top of their profession, refs, cannot do that is beyond brown envelopes ergh I mean belief.

God, I hate the off-side rules. Griezemann was yards offside and making no attempt to get back onside. He clearly gained an advantage, why should he get any benefit? Let the fucker run hard back behind the defense before he next plays the ball, the lazy bastard.

The more I see things like this, the more I hanker back to the old days. Griezemann was offside when the ball was played forward, flag goes up, No controversy. No active/not-active, no second phases, no deliberate plays. It's all so unnecessarily complicated these days. Would be perfect for automated VAR decisions as well.

Well I suppose there’s got to be some point where things are final and restarting play seems as good a time as any. Besides when will the people who refuse to celebrate a goal until they kick off get their moment of joy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.