VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, very left field this. The ref says 'any problems with that or can I award it'
Dickwad replies either 'nah, all good' or 'just let me check before you re-start/end the game. The fact that two supposedly highly trained, top of their profession, refs, cannot do that is beyond brown envelopes ergh I mean belief.

It may be a case of too many cooks. Have you seen how many they have packed into these World Cup VAR rooms? Just guessing now but I imagine the actual VAR must have given the verbal nod for the goal to stand, before one of his eagle eyed assistants belatedly spotted a potential offside.

Probably no coincide that the only two major VAR controversies I can recall this tournament, the France offside and the Portugal handball, have both had the same guy as VAR. Seems like he’s a bit out of his depth.

It may be a case of too many cooks. Have you seen how many they have packed into these World Cup VAR rooms? Just guessing now but I imagine the actual VAR must have given the verbal nod for the goal to stand, before one of his eagle eyed assistants belatedly spotted a potential offside.

Probably no coincide that the only two major VAR controversies I can recall this tournament, the France offside and the Portugal handball, have both had the same guy as VAR. Seems like he’s a bit out of his depth.
How can var be an improvement when there are 6 (six) other people reffing the game as well as the 4 on the pitch?

Even if he is out of his depth, the referee waits for the go ahead to re-start. IF that was given, then the var man really is/was out if his depth. A clear explanation is needed....... but I ain't holding my breath.

How can var be an improvement when there are 6 (six) other people reffing the game as well as the 4 on the pitch?

I can understand the need for one assistant VAR, to keep check on the live action while his mate is reviewing something. There’s probably a tech. guy in there as well, which would make sense. But what the rest of them bring to the party, other than confusion, I wouldn’t know.

The tail is now wagging the dog. Rules are being made to meet the needs of VAR. It's a flawed logic pawed over by anal purists who must get everything right and if they can't then the rules must be 'amended' to aid clarity and consistency. An emotional and high stakes game is being turned into a sterile dump of poo. Those who defend VAR can fck off. It is killing my joy of the game. That is a fact. This is not about opinions.
It will stay in place as it is now a money cow for ex officials and broadcasters... RIP real football.

The journalist is called Dale Johnson, editor at ESPN football. I trust his competence because whenever anybody on Twitter challenges his knowledge of the laws of the game he nearly always replies with evidence he was right. He is reviewing every single VAR intervention during the World Cup. And when the Premier League is running he has a weekly article on a Monday, reviewing the weekends controversies. I prefer his take to ex referees like Gallagher on Sky, who always seems to find an excuse to claim the right decision was made, as he’s not afraid to call out an error when that’s his opinion.

This takes some digesting but the official definition of “deliberate play”

396e628a30cb02f7746b2c7814085e2f.jpg

f32361aa99e32970975138a16527120b.jpg

As an aside, the French FA have complained to FIFA that Tunisia kicked off after the “goal” before it was disallowed. Which obviously shouldn’t happen. I didn’t watch it live but shouldn’t be hard to prove either way.
OK thanks for that, it's an interesting situation for sure, watching the highlights back again the defender makes a clear and conscious effort to get to the ball which has travelled about 20m, he's back peddling and jumps, moves his head towards the ball, but connects with the top of his head, ie it was a poorly timed error.

Does this mean he didn't have time to co-ordinate his effort? I'd argue not as he actually made his movement towards the ball too soon rather than too late.

Overall I would still argue Greizmans goal should have been allowed to stand

OK thanks for that, it's an interesting situation for sure, watching the highlights back again the defender makes a clear and conscious effort to get to the ball which has travelled about 20m, he's back peddling and jumps, moves his head towards the ball, but connects with the top of his head, ie it was a poorly timed error.

Does this mean he didn't have time to co-ordinate his effort? I'd argue not as he actually made his movement towards the ball too soon rather than too late.

Overall I would still argue Greizmans goal should have been allowed to stand

The whole situation is ridiculous imo.

Is blocking a shot called making a play for the ball?

Even if he is out of his depth, the referee waits for the go ahead to re-start. IF that was given, then the var man really is/was out if his depth. A clear explanation is needed....... but I ain't holding my breath.

They’ll certainly be some explanation as France have lodged an official complaint. Whether it bares any resemblance to what actually occurred we’ll probably never know.

My guess is they’ll turn down the appeal, as it’s a dangerous precedent to set, they’ll explain away the confusion as a communication malfunction and the officials involved will be told to pack up their whistles and quietly fuck off home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.