VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, as per the James Milner review in the scouse derby.

They made a mess of things yesterday. They could have just said that the judge on the defender that made him skew his clearing header was a foul and negated all this nonsense about deliberate playing of the ball.

Fair enough. At the risk of seeming tedious, is a mis-kick a deliberate play of the ball for offside?

Well, if it isn't, then why not, at a free kick just outside the box, have an attacker a couple of metres to the side of the keeper to pick up any deflections?
because he would be offside when the kick was taken AND when it deflected off the defender

Fair enough. At the risk of seeming tedious, is an mis-kick a deliberate play of the ball for offside?
It’s at the discretion of the referee, so using yesterday’s example, I will say yes/no*…

*delete one at random.

My honest thought would be that it depends on how much pressure the offside player is putting on the defender. If none, they‘ve not interfered and so shouldn‘t be deemed active. That’s my subjective opinion, it isn’t defined in the LOTG.

Fair enough. At the risk of seeming tedious, is a mis-kick a deliberate play of the ball for offside?
Apparently yes if playing the ball fulfills the "deliberate" criteria, then the result of playing the ball is irrelevant......I sound sure there don't I, but who the fuck knows really??

It’s at the discretion of the referee, so using yesterday’s example, I will say yes/no*…

*delete one at random.

My honest thought would be that it depends on how much pressure the offside player is putting on the defender. If none, they‘ve not interfered and so shouldn‘t be deemed active. That’s my subjective opinion, it isn’t defined in the LOTG.

Apparently yes if playing the ball fulfills the "deliberate" criteria, then the result of playing the ball is irrelevant......I sound sure there don't I, but who the fuck knows really??

I am just trying to get my head around all this shit.

A mis-kick by a defender isn't a deliberate play of the ball if the keeper picks it up, however much pressure he is under, but it is for offside?

So a defender could mis-kick a ball back to his keeper, but an attacker nips in and scores. The keeper could have picked up the ball because it wasn't a deliberate play, but the attacker wasn't offside because it was?

It really does my head in.

I am just trying to get my head around all this shit.

A mis-kick by a defender isn't a deliberate play of the ball if the keeper picks it up, however much pressure he is under, but it is for offside?

So a defender could mis-kick a ball back to his keeper, but an attacker nips in and scores. The keeper could have picked up the ball because it wasn't a deliberate play, but the attacker wasn't offside because it was?

It really does my head in.
Yes. The referee could deem that a defender had sliced the ball back to his keeper and that it wasn’t a deliberate back pass. That doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t a deliberate play on the ball though. He’s just shanked it, unless the attacker being there and put pressure on him.

I guess ultimately, the decision is at the discretion of the referee. Having VAR makes it the discretion of two of them, doubling their ability to get it right, as well as wrong!

I need a coffee.

Last edited:
There's no right or wrong sometimes, its judgement. And I'm going to keep on banging on about it.

Just enough "grey area" to manufacture the desired outcome - all VAR was ever brought in to do - unless you take in the washing.

But that just doesnt add up. We've benefitted from stupid VAR calls, our rivals have suffered them.

There's no right or wrong sometimes, its judgement. And I'm going to keep on banging on about it.

But that just doesnt add up. We've benefitted from stupid VAR calls, our rivals have suffered them.
It's done subtlety - make no mistake about that. I doff my cap to it sometimes - just enough to take people in. No point in it blowing itself wide open, just yet at least.

It's done subtlety - make no mistake about that. I doff my cap to it sometimes - just enough to take people in. No point in it blowing itself wide open, just yet at least.
So both the absurd Messi penalty and offside French goal yesterday must have put your theory back a bit, given it was so overt and so wrong. That’s the antithesis of subtle, isn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.