VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that if there was malicious intent, someone would have broken ranks by now and there would be at the very least credible accusations to look at. The Mark Halsey incident a few years ago seemed briefly to be such an occurrence, but it went very quiet very quickly.

Yes I know, that was suspicious in itself
I just don’t see how they could do it without it being either ridiculously obvious either in a title decider kind of game where VAR/ref decisions change the result dramatically or a meeting is held at New Year and they all decide who they are going to favour, which is preposterous.

It was far more likely before VAR, like the Mike Riley corruption clinic at Old Trafford in about 2006.

Well that looked out to me...............assume VAR said not
Was it an ‘in my opinion‘ moment as there’s been no conclusive evidence. If inconclusive, the onfield decison stands and the goal is disallowed.

Not sure what I’m seeing anymore, after 40 years of watching and playing, some of these decisions are baffling.

It can't be fixed as no Asian or Arab country has benefited from any of the main dodgy decisions in an Asian/Arab country.

It can't be fixed as no Asian or Arab country has benefited from any of the main dodgy decisions in an Asian/Arab country.
Goes back to what several people involved in match fixing have said in the past: bent officials can only do so much; sometimes they aren't able to achieve the desired result.

There are stories of some unfortunate consequences in South American leagues when match fixing was unsuccessful. But not even I think that level of consequence is present at this level, nor do I think every match is fixed.

I just think that those that believe there is no corruption of officiating at the top levels of football (top five European leagues, champions league, Euros, WC) are maintaining the belief in the face of all evidence to the contrary and probability to the contrary.

Question I have regarding that Japan in/out goal: was it ruled out on the field and then overturned by VAR?

I ask, because Fox Sports coverage indicated the ruling from VAR was that whether it was out was inconclusive and that's why it was given. But my understanding is VAR can only overturn on field decisions if it meets the "clear and obvious error" threshold, meaning VAR would have to have conclusive evidence that all of the ball did not clear all of the line.

Some conflicting info that I am sure FIFA will clear up...

Edit: Apparently the linesmen had flagged for the ball going out, so VAR was overturning the on field decision.

Whether the ball was in or out for Japan's goal doesn't matter. It simply shows, yet again that the idiots in charge decided to fix something that wasn't broken. Var causes more problems than if it was just left to the 3 officials. If the linesman got it wrong it would be accepted almost immediately. Its a split second decision. But oh no, we have to have Var. How to ruin the simple game of football.

Whether the ball was in or out for Japan's goal doesn't matter. It simply shows, yet again that the idiots in charge decided to fix something that wasn't broken. Var causes more problems than if it was just left to the 3 officials. If the linesman got it wrong it would be accepted almost immediately. Its a split second decision. But oh no, we have to have Var. How to ruin the simple game of football.
It’s too early to suggest that. The radio silence is odd though.

If they have changed a decision on a factual decision, then everybody should see why that decision has been made.

This is the scandal so far on this decision. The rest can be debated later if there is no conclusive proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.