VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question I have regarding that Japan in/out goal: was it ruled out on the field and then overturned by VAR?

I ask, because Fox Sports coverage indicated the ruling from VAR was that whether it was out was inclusive and that's why it was given. But my understanding is VAR can only overturn on field decisions if it meets the "clear and obvious error" threshold, meaning VAR would have to have conclusive evidence that all of the ball did not clear all of the line.

Some conflicting info that I am sure FIFA will clear up...

Edit: Apparently the linesmen had flagged for the ball going out, so VAR was overturning the on field decision.
I remain confused.

1. Is VAR only used when there is a clear and obvious error? Or not?
2. What constitutes a clear and obvious error?
3. Was the on field decision to disallow the Japan goal a clear and obvious error.

Peter Walton would say the answer to these questions is yes and no.

I remain confused.

3. Was the on field decision to disallow the Japan goal a clear and obvious error.

1. No
2. The VAR referee, who notifies the on field ref to have another look
3. Yes, if they have a camera angle to show this.

Whether the ball was in or out for Japan's goal doesn't matter. It simply shows, yet again that the idiots in charge decided to fix something that wasn't broken. Var causes more problems than if it was just left to the 3 officials. If the linesman got it wrong it would be accepted almost immediately. Its a split second decision. But oh no, we have to have Var. How to ruin the simple game of football.

Footballs not ruined
Growing bigger and bigger world wide
VAR is here to stay, it’s improving and making the game better - you won’t accept it ever which is fine, but for most fans and the next generation it will be accepted and part and parcel of the game

I remain confused.

1. VAR is used for both "objective" decisions (even though they aren't actually objective decisions due to the limitations of VAR-support technology and human interpretation) and "subjective" decision (technically all decisions by officials are subjective).
2. If you can tell us that you should be the person in charge of World Cup officiating.
3. Apparently it was deemed by VAR to be an error by the linesmen who flagged the ball as out for the goal.

Footballs not ruined
Growing bigger and bigger world wide
VAR is here to stay, it’s improving and making the game better - you won’t accept it ever which is fine, but for most fans and the next generation it will be accepted and part and parcel of the game
The vast, VAST majority won't accept it, but you're right, within the next 100 years when our generation of football fans die out, it'll be the norm. Great! That's a great comfort. By the way my lads are 18 and 21. They HATE it, as do all their mates. So it might be some time before it's accepted as "the norm"

Those who watch games in stadiums hate it. Those who only watch football on TV love it.......so we're fucked. Its here to stay.

It’s too early to suggest that. The radio silence is odd though.

If they have changed a decision on a factual decision, then everybody should see why that decision has been made.

This is the scandal so far on this decision. The rest can be debated l ater if there is no conclusive proof.
@Alan Harper's Tash you are missing my point. They decided they needed to end all the controversy and so turned to technology. All it has done is cause even more controversy. One report states that in the Japan incident, not all the ball was over the line (similar to how a corner is taken) so they over ruled the linesman.
To make that decision Var is not being used, it is a human being not a machine, looking at a still image. No one can be that sure, no one. They are interfering and making it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.