VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont mind it over all if it gets to the correct decsions, however overall i think its leading to less goals being scored that could be improved if they amend the offside rule to get rid of the marginal ones - or make it so its absolutely black and white e.g. daylight between forward and defender so any part that is level is onside

Question I have regarding that Japan in/out goal: was it ruled out on the field and then overturned by VAR?

I ask, because Fox Sports coverage indicated the ruling from VAR was that whether it was out was inconclusive and that's why it was given. But my understanding is VAR can only overturn on field decisions if it meets the "clear and obvious error" threshold, meaning VAR would have to have conclusive evidence that all of the ball did not clear all of the line.

Some conflicting info that I am sure FIFA will clear up...

Edit: Apparently the linesmen had flagged for the ball going out, so VAR was overturning the on field decision.
Apparently the goal line cameras picked it up

3 more years is my guess

Loads of issues will have been ironed out and less controversy

Even now the controversy is mainly around minuscule decisions that could go either way - whereas before it was blatant offsides and dives the main talking points
You're in a massive minority mate

How long has var been in place now ? I dont think France or Germany are likely to agree with you.

As much as Germany might feel hard done by because it was such a close call, at least it seems from the evidence it was a close, right call.

Wouldn’t Japan have more cause to feel hard done by if they weren’t using VAR, as they’d have been dumped out by a close, incorrect call?

As much as Germany might feel hard done by because it was such a close call, at least it seems from the evidence it was a close, right call.

Wouldn’t Japan have more cause to feel hard done by if they weren’t using VAR, as they’d have been dumped out by a close, incorrect call?
Re Japan. Maybe, but my point is, it hasn't stopped the controversial decisions. In fact there are more. In the past everyone would say the lino made an honest mistake/was correct, it is now 3 days of arguments about who called it, why and for what reason. @Bluearmy is now saying goal line technology called it but that is on the refs wrist so I think that's wrong. It simply highlights the confusion var causes.

Last edited:
Fair enough. It hasn’t caused more controversy as the people who are hell bent on telling us football is bent still do so.

Even the statisticians that cry VAR is foul don’t give any statistical evidence that it is.

It was interesting to see how one certain statistician dealt with today

Even he didn’t want to suggest it was corrupt, when it was at its easiest to do so. This basically showed the bloke as the fraud he is.

I look forward to his backtracking as it all unfolds tomorrow.

Professional statistician, yet factual pussycat.

Again, FFS.

If I remember the discussion properly, your apparent nemesis was trying to make the point that if a process isn't working properly and there are ways to improve that process which aren't made, then the whole process becomes, de facto, corrupt. Not sure he ever suggested individual decisions were corrupt. Or that the whole process was about financial corruption. It was about corruption of a process. And he was right. You should let it go.

Oh, and btw, if anyone should be called out for getting the Japan goal wrong, it should be you for falling for the camera angle mistake.

falling for the camera angle mistake.
I swear, last night shortly after the “goal”, there was a camera angle shown where the ball was clearly over the line by at least an inch (probably two), and I’m talking about the “curvature” of the ball here, not just the ball, it was so clear that McCoist (I think) called it straight away, I even got up and left the game to do something absolutely convinced it was getting disallowed.

The odd thing is, they’ve been showing numerous stills etc from various inferior angle’s since then, but not that one, the best one, it’s like it never existed.

I swear, last night shortly after the “goal”, there was a camera angle shown where the ball was clearly over the line by at least an inch (probably two), and I’m talking about the “curvature” of the ball here, not just the ball, it was so clear that McCoist (I think) called it straight away, I even got up and left the game to do something absolutely convinced it was getting disallowed.

The odd thing is, they’ve been showing numerous stills etc from various inferior angle’s since then, but not that one, the best one, it’s like it never existed.
Fair enough, I didn't pay much attention to the shenanigans after the goal tbh. I suppose FIFA could be using images that show a particular outcome if they had made a mistake in the game, but making such a mistake with not the best camera angle would be a BIG mistake and the cover up would be exposed by better evidence I guess. Let's see. The image I saw was pretty conclusive tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.