VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I therefore revert back to what I posted minutes ago from the Telegraph and other sources. According to FIFA the sensors could not detect whether the ball was in or out, it was the Var official who made the decision.
Assuming that the sensor data and the camera data are synchronised (perhaps a big assumption?) then the sensor data would point to two frames - if either of those shows the ball is outside the line then that is reasonably conclusive that the ball is out. If both, or all close, frames show that the ball is on or touching the line then there remains a possibility (maybe slight?) that the ball crossed over the line between the frames.
All measurements are subject to error and the "technological" measure is probably better than the human eye (particularly with the goalposts in the way).

The ball has sensors in it and they’ve got computer cameras all over the pitch. Their software will know it’s either in play or not so it’s either the right decision or wrong but if trust the software over a human eye any day of the week on stuff like this. It’s exactly like the Stones clearance on the line against Liverpool.
But not like the hoof from a rag defender at West Ham that curved out of play then back in for the raggies to score.

I therefore revert back to what I posted minutes ago from the Telegraph and other sources. According to FIFA the sensors could not detect whether the ball was in or out, it was the Var official who made the decision.
Yes by looking at the correct frame as determined by the inertial sensor.

Well yes, the SAOT isn't set up to use the position of the ball so it could never have been used for that. That isn't news. Remember the Spurs CL game? But parts of the system can be used "manually" by the VAR operator to get a precise timing of the ball movement and then the position can be calibrated from the images of the ball from the 12 cameras. It's probably as precise as it can be with the set-up they have.

I don't see how anything would be gained from FIFA showing multiple angles which will just confuse the issue when they have an accurate reading they can show. ITV should shut up, imho.

I think.
But, if your first paragraph was correct, then Var would have said that the technology within the ball was used. They didn't, they have stated the technology was NOT used.

Assuming that the sensor data and the camera data are synchronised (perhaps a big assumption?) then the sensor data would point to two frames - if either of those shows the ball is outside the line then that is reasonably conclusive that the ball is out. If both, or all close, frames show that the ball is on or touching the line then there remains a possibility (maybe slight?) that the ball crossed over the line between the frames.
All measurements are subject to error and the "technological" measure is probably better than the human eye (particularly with the goalposts in the way).
Great except it wasn't used.
Posters keep quoting about the technology within the ball despite FIFA saying that the technology could not indicate whether the ball was in or out.

Yes you seem to have taken the post (which shows how perspective changes one’s view of it) far too seriously.

Here’s another (note it’s not from last nights game)

I suppose that this will eventually occur... not sure why it isn't currently in use... goal line technology applied to (at least) the endlines if not the sidelines as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.