VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
VAR worked pretty well at the last WC in Russia. This one has been awful. They either wait 20 minutes to show the image or don't show it at all. If you look at the Rudiger goal that got disallowed the image FIFA showed to us , the ball has quite clearly left his foot already when the image is frozen.
I think they are supposed to show the SAOT graphic the next time the ball goes out of play. Not sure if that has been happening, not been watching that much tbh.

Is it not being used in this World Cup for keepers coming off their line at penalties, the Uruguayan keeper last night was well off his ?

Clearly was in the France game. Interesting observation by Lineker wondering if part of Lewandowski’s reasoning for going with the stuttering run up, is the knowledge that he’ll likely draw the ‘keeper off the line early?

Clearly was in the France game. Interesting observation by Lineker wondering if part of Lewandowski’s reasoning for going with the stuttering run up, is the knowledge that he’ll likely draw the ‘keeper off the line early?
On the 2nd attempt, Lewandowski run up actually made the keeper fall over.

On the 2nd attempt, Lewandowski run up actually made the keeper fall over.

He must have been very close to having it disallowed and booked for unsporting behaviour. You are allowed to stutter the run up but you can’t feint to actually kick the ball once the run up is completed. He was pushing that right to the limit there.

So 8 games just played where the stakes were huge. Would I be right in saying not a single bad call in all those games? No snide off-the-ball stuff? No horror tackles? No goalkeepers infringing the stay-on-the-line rule in the shoot-outs? No stupid grappling at corner kicks? No offside errors? Hardly an error at all in any of the games played?

Is that not extraordinary?

Might there be something in this VAR business after all?

So 8 games just played where the stakes were huge. Would I be right in saying not a single bad call in all those games? No snide off-the-ball stuff? No horror tackles? No goalkeepers infringing the stay-on-the-line rule in the shoot-outs? No stupid grappling at corner kicks? No offside errors? Hardly an error at all in any of the games played?

Not quite seen every game but have watched the vast majority. I’d say the only really bad ones, as far as VAR is concerned, that I remember at least, were the penalties for Portugal, where the guy had his hand on the floor and the one where the goalkeeper brushed Messi’s face. Also the farcical miscommunication and ending to the France, Saudi Arabia game, even though they did probably end up with the right decision by the letter of the law.

On the flip side, I think it was the West Ham guy on here who said this same thing about a week ago but this World Cup has been virtually a dive free zone, which can only really be due to the presence of VAR and is a huge positive.

Maybe due to more experienced refereeing teams in the knock-out stages? Apart from a few high-profile glitches, VAR seems to have worked pretty well in the tournament. So far :)

Can I just say something of a general nature about VAR based on what I have noticed at this world cup and a positive one: the games have generally been pretty clean (apart from Uraguay) with low numbers of red cards and yellow cards.

I think this maybe an unintended consequence of VAR as players know that they can't get away with stuff that they may have managed to previously, when only the referee and the lines people had eyes on the game.

Just a thought.

Can I just say something of a general nature about VAR based on what I have noticed at this world cup and a positive one: the games have generally been pretty clean (apart from Uraguay) with low numbers of red cards and yellow cards.

I think this maybe an unintended consequence of VAR as players know that they can't get away with stuff that they may have managed to previously, when only the referee and the lines people had eyes on the game.

Just a thought.

I think the Welsh goalie is still the only red card isn’t it?

Amazing that since I think there’s been 57 games now.

Agree, can work well as long as you don't have just one bent bastard sat in a shed somewhere in the sticks.
FIFA seem to have followed the rugby example with a team forensically poring over all the images and angles with better technology on the offsides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.