VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 8 games just played where the stakes were huge. Would I be right in saying not a single bad call in all those games? No snide off-the-ball stuff? No horror tackles? No goalkeepers infringing the stay-on-the-line rule in the shoot-outs? No stupid grappling at corner kicks? No offside errors? Hardly an error at all in any of the games played?

Is that not extraordinary?

Might there be something in this VAR business after all?

Exactly

At most you’ll get a fraction call that people can argue about

VAR has been such a benefit for the game

So 8 games just played where the stakes were huge. Would I be right in saying not a single bad call in all those games? No snide off-the-ball stuff? No horror tackles? No goalkeepers infringing the stay-on-the-line rule in the shoot-outs? No stupid grappling at corner kicks? No offside errors? Hardly an error at all in any of the games played?

Just a point. At the WC they are not using VAR for keepers being off the line. As for saying no offside errors, there were 3 or 4 in the group stages which were very dodgy and no graphic shown

Lahoz made a complete hash of his game yesterday. Maybe VAR could have helped identify some of the culprits in the melee, such as Van Dyke. Also, TV replays seemed to suggest that Argentina defender deliberately ran in to Gakpo. That was very snide and worthy of a yellow card at least. VAR could have referred it on the grounds of a potential missed red card.

I agree with the observations made by @Stephen230, but on the whole, I would say VAR has been a success.

Just a point. At the WC they are not using VAR for keepers being off the line.

Where have you seen that out of interest? Seems bizarre not to. Although the only obvious one I’ve seen saved was retaken ( Poland ) so the linesman must have been doing his job if it didn’t come from the VAR.

Where have you seen that out of interest? Seems bizarre not to. Although the only obvious one I’ve seen saved was retaken ( Poland ) so the linesman must have been doing his job if it didn’t come from the VAR.
Been mentioned a few times on TV during games. I think SKY mentioned it as well. However, as it's the BBC, ITV etc, might not be correct

Worth mentioning the uproar had we had no VAR and that blatant shove on Mount went unpunished, the ref would never have gave that - would of been the main talking point and pages of slating the ref for costing us the game.

Worth mentioning the uproar had we had no VAR and that blatant shove on Mount went unpunished, the ref would never have gave that - would of been the main talking point and pages of slating the ref for costing us the game.

Well, maybe. But people are still complaining about the ref costing us the game. So what's changed?

ref was sh*t for decisions that don't go to VAR
Yes I understand that.

But the point was that people will always complain about referees affecting the result as long as there are referees to complain about, irrespective of VAR. So your point that people would have been complaining about the referee if VAR hadn't been there doesn't really hold up when people are still complaining about the referee even with VAR there.

If you had said that there were fewer things to complain about the referee's performance with VAR, then that would be right. Hopefully.

Anyway, small point.

Ironically, England may have been in a better position mentally if the penalty wasn't given rather than was given and missed spectacularly. They were looking pretty good for a while and an equaliser wasn't out of the question in the time remaining. The missed penalty may have deflated them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.