VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good night for VAR last yesterday. A goal by each side correctly overruled for offside. And although pretty straightforward, two correct no overrules on the ‘handball’ goal and the offside for the guy off the pitch. The last goal was something they were never going to get involved in. The referees decision was always going to stand on that one.

The season before VAR

How many pens has he won this season ?

That was after 34 games. Still plenty of time to award him a few penalties, assuming he starts playing well enough to actually get in the box as much as he did in 2018/9.

Still waiting for the first time someone treads on his foot in the penalty area, though. The acid test.

That was after 34 games. Still plenty of time to award him a few penalties, assuming he starts playing well enough to actually get in the box as much as he did in 2018/9.

Still waiting for the first time someone treads on his foot in the penalty area, though. The acid test.

well it's been nearly half the season and how many penalties have Liverpool actually been awarded ? ....

I would confidently guess pre VAR they never had a season with this little amount of pens.

A good night for VAR last yesterday. A goal by each side correctly overruled for offside. And although pretty straightforward, two correct no overrules on the ‘handball’ goal and the offside for the guy off the pitch. The last goal was something they were never going to get involved in. The referees decision was always going to stand on that one.

Didn't see the game, but were either of the off-side "goals" what you would call "clear and obvious" or were they mm or cm offside? Put it this way, if they had been allowed, would there have been outrage at the poor decision? Honest question. I don't know.

And I am not sure VAR not doing anything can be described as a good night for VAR. If the referee got the calls right, surely it was a good night for the referee?

well it's been nearly half the season and how many penalties have Liverpool actually been awarded ? ....

I would confidently guess pre VAR they never had a season with this little amount of pens.

So let's have a look at the three seasons pre- and post-VAR.

Pre: 8, 3 and 7 penalties

Actually one more post-VAR than pre-.

You are using this year to date, which as far as I can tell is 0 penalties, to try to justify a point when it is just an outlier due to other factors, probably due to the fact they are crap this year.

You don't need to do it. I think most reasonable people would agree that the availability of VAR has led to a reduction in play-acting and trying to con the ref, as we saw very clearly, I think, at the world cup.

But this whole discussion started because the feeling was that, if someone trod on Salah's foot when he was running in the box at Anfield, he would get a penalty. Let's see if that happens and, if it does, what the result is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.