VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve still not seen Saturday’s incident. That link on the other thread didn’t work. But coincidentally an example of what the Premier League showed as a no penalty, also involved Mahrez and is apparently quite similar.

I read Dale Johnson's articles on VAR decisions, and quite like them, but I do so to get the referee's angle. IMO he tries too hard to support the decisions (I suppose he has to to get input from PGMOL) but often without critically assessing the protocol that got to the decision. Just because a decision follows some protocol or other doesn't mean it's the right decision in the spirit of the game. IMHO of course.

With respect to Mahrez, there are two key differences between the two incidents. First, the ball may have been heading out of play in the original incident in Johnson's tweet. It may or it may not have been, but there is at least some doubt. Second, in attempting to charge the defender in the tackle, Mahrez puts his foot in an unnatural running position. I can accept it is likely this caused the defender's foot to come down on his foot. So I don't have a problem with it not being a penalty. It would be given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch, but I can accept that penalties require more scrutiny.

Neither of these were the case against Everton. The ball was clearly in play and he followed a normal running movement. The defender chose to attempt a tackle and mistimed it. Penalty.

Forget the exaggeration. I don't see how that can be a determinant in the decision of whether it's a foul or not. If that is protocol, then it's a stupid protocol. The referee thinks the fall is exaggerated to gain an advantage? Then book the attacker after giving the penalty. That would soon stop exaggerated falls the same way petulantly kicking the ball away stopped after yellow cards were dished out. In fact, if players thought fouls in the box were properly punished, especially after a player tries to stay on his feet, there would be no need for exaggerated falls.

Sorry for the long reply again. Just trying to get my points across clearly.

Clear foul on Bowen tonight in the area. The ref wouldn’t have given it as he pointed to a goal kick.
Thankfully we had VAR

Last edited:
Ah yes, the once-a-matchday reminder that VAR got something right :)

It's more than right though isn't it - the most nailed on penalty ever and the ref would of gave a goal kick! had we not equalized just before the break i doubt we would have got anything last night

It's more than right though isn't it - the most nailed on penalty ever and the ref would of gave a goal kick! had we not equalized just before the break i doubt we would have got anything last night

Fair enough. I didn't see it so I can't comment. Arsene Wenger lives!

Clear foul on Bowen tonight in the area. The ref wouldn’t have given it as he pointed to a goal kick.
Thankfully we had VAR
One of the clearest penalties you'll ever see and the ref was looking right at it. Couldn't believe he didn't give it immediately. Only reason I can think he didn't was the way Bowen "fell".

One of the clearest penalties you'll ever see and the ref was looking right at it. Couldn't believe he didn't give it immediately. Only reason I can think he didn't was the way Bowen "fell".

Looked like he stood on his foot to me. Borderline. VAR should never have over-ruled it.

Thankfully we had VAR
I’m coming round to the realisation that it’s not so much VAR that’s the problem but the abysmal and shameful level of refereeing in this country, both on the field and in the VAR hut, plus the technology isn’t ready to make it accurate enough. Why are we not using the chip thing in the ball for offside like they did in the World Cup? At least you knew after a few seconds if it was likely to be offside or not. How on Earth Coote didn’t give that last night it’s astonishing. Him and Madley just ruin the game. They’re not corrupt or anything - just a poor Sunday league standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.